• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

freefall

sunshine44

Que sera sera
Sorry to be in absolute crisis anymore....like on a daily basis but doing the best I can. Had a bad crash from supplement in August and since subtracting supplements and adding a few meds for 4 months it has not een easy on my fragile system.

It appears I am dealing with a nervous breakdown, severe POTS and all the fun adrenal/low blood sugar issues and digestive issues at once.

I don't even know what to say. I am not seeking a cure because I cannot try one new thing at this point until stronger if that day even comes.

I worked so hard to never see this day come.

I am bedbound, leaving the house unless by ambulance is not a possibility at this point due to severe spinning/light/noise/anxiety and can't sit up for long.

Let me know if you've ever survived all of these at once? I guess I can still type and think somewhat so that's good. But oh my dear God.

Ps I do seem to be very sensitive to moons and solar storms which we have had a lot of lately....but yeah everything combined has really shook my system up.

Thanks for letting me vent. Hoping to come out of this the other side in one piece!

Wishful

Vent away. Hopefully your crash will end soon, and you can experiment again. It is possible to find things that provide some relief from ME. In 17 years, I've found two that are still reliable for me. I've found many more things that make the symptoms worse, but luckily those were all very quick to recover from, and at least I now know to avoid them.

sunshine44

Que sera sera
yes...this is good. pear and tiny amounts of celery. first new foods in a year? but not tolerating my one drops of b and d and zinc and magnesium anymore...not sure how I can build my cells up without vitamins but I guess I can only do it through food right now. thank you.

sunshine44

Que sera sera
thanks. Its so true. I am working on that tons today. Everytime I see me being hospitalized and worse case scenarios of them giving me meds I can't have and other horrific thoughts etc. ….I step back and say is this helping or hurting you right now? are we getting tired of these thought loops?

I am telling the perfectionist in me that the vitamins will just have to wait, I notice tiny improvements when I stop them and it just is what it is. I know I am low but there is nothing I can really do about it except work on my breath and imagine I am breathing in the nutrients. Thanks for being there Jesse's mom and so many others, it means a lot.

yes...this is good. pear and tiny amounts of celery. first new foods in a year? but not tolerating my one drops of b and d and zinc and magnesium anymore...not sure how I can build my cells up without vitamins but I guess I can only do it through food right now. thank you.

-----------------------------------------
My heart goes out to you as I have been in your position myself. Do you have a helper/ sig. other, friend? Because if you're alone in this, that is not good. When I was going down from vit D deficiency and B12 deficiency, my wife made gluten free pancakes(Pamela's) to get my weight back up and my strength increased. Just eat , as you can, and try to build it up. Then, you can continue work on rebuilding what you lost. for B12--methyl cobalamin form; for Vit D--BioD Mulsion Forte. This worked for me. You know we're all different though. If you are having a tough time adding new things, go slow. Just stay committed and try to eat what you can. Food is Medicine, right?

all the best to you.

Last edited:

Shoshana

Northern USA
Sending you :heart::heart::heart: @sunshine44

and giving you back, some of the wonderful special kind of caring, that you often give freely to any of us!

You truly have been adding so much to our group, and it is okay that you need support back, too.
This IS a very difficult illness, and your situation is very challenging. We do understand.

I HAVE been through some very , very poor times, and scary ones, that did let up, in the past,
so I hope it happens for you soon, and that you can hold on till then, thinking of simple things.

You do mean a lot to us.
:star::bouquet:

sunshine44

Que sera sera
-----------------------------------------
My heart goes out to you as I have been in your position myself. Do you have a helper/ sig. other, friend? Because if you're alone in this, that is not good. When I was going down from vit D deficiency and B12 deficiency, my wife made gluten free pancakes(Pamela's) to get my weight back up and my strength increased. Just eat , as you can, and try to build it up. Then, you can continue work on rebuilding what you lost. for B12--methyl cobalamin form; for Vit D--BioD Mulsion Forte. This worked for me. You know we're all different though. If you are having a tough time adding new things, go slow. Just stay committed and try to eat what you can. Food is Medicine, right?

all the best to you.
thank you so much. I do have a husband. We have two small children too, this has been epically challenging for me to be in this situation. We are doing the best we can.

sunshine44

Que sera sera
Sending you :heart::heart::heart: @sunshine44

and giving you back, some of the wonderful special kind of caring, that you often give freely to any of us!

You truly have been adding so much to our group, and it is okay that you need support back, too.
This IS a very difficult illness, and your situation is very challenging. We do understand.

I HAVE been through some very , very poor times, and scary ones, that did let up, in the past,
so I hope it happens for you soon, and that you can hold on till then, thinking of simple things.

You do mean a lot to us.
:star::bouquet:
thank you so very much. You guys really lifted my spirits <3

Basilico

Florida
There were periods of time when it seemed like my husband was so fu---ed that there was no way he could be functional again. Those times were hopeless. There was a period of time where he was having a lot of GI discomfort, and thinking it was SIBO, he took antibiotics for it...which instead of helping him completely decimated his gut. He couldn't leave the house for months because of his explosive GI system issues (how's that for a euphemism? ;)), he was reacting to every food and drink until he could only tolerate 1 or 2 things. It felt like his body was hijacked and there was no way to regain control.

And then, he did regain control. (one of the things that helped was MJ). And he slowly got better. and better. and better. Until he could eventually eat everything and not have to go running for the bathroom. And then some time passed and eventually I started forgetting how desperate we'd been, how hopeless. Then eventually he went through another black time, but with horrendous panic attacks that were happening 10, 12, 20 times a day and he felt like he was going to die each time (which I mentioned on your other thread). And we sunk back down to that familiar place where it seemed like there was no way it could get better. But we held on and we kept trying things, and eventually he came out of that, too.

He's still got CFS, there's still lots of limitations, :ill: but it's not a black pit of depair anymore. And if he ends up with another one of those debilitating body-hijacking situations, I'll know that know matter how impossible it feels, he will eventually prevail. From those two dark times I learned that no matter how bad and hopeless it seems, it is possible to get better. Maybe not 100% but definitely better than where you are now. You've just got to hold on and do whatever you can - like venting here - to get yourself through it. It sounds like you're going through your own awful black pit of health despair, and it sucks. There's no sugarcoating it. But it can get better than this.

The way we cope with the really bad times is to focus every gram of energy we have on reading, researching, trying different things. I know this doesn't work for everyone, but I find that it give me at least the illusion of having some control. We just keep looking, searching...falling into rabbit holes of old PR threads or Pubmed research. Sometimes we find things that actually do help, sometimes the situation kind up clears up a bit on it's own. For me, it's really important to keep myself focused on something other than always on how crappy he or I feel (which is not always easy or possible) and to also acknowledge and vent about it periodically. I think venting is really important, and there's a lot of great people who are really good listeners.

Last edited:

YippeeKi YOW !!

He couldn't leave the house for months because of his explosive GI system issues (how's that for a euphemism? ;))
Most excellently euphemistic, and thank you.

Then eventually he went through another black time, but with horrendous panic attacks that were happening 10, 12, 20 times a day and he felt like he was going to die each time (which I mentioned on your other thread).
I had these too. Like your husband, they were constant (I went to the ER twice because I was sure that this time I was actually dying) rolling in one on top of the other like waves in a windstorm, except for when they just didn't stop at all, including an episode that lasted for 19 hours straight before I gave up and went to the ER. It's terrifying and relentless and you really think your body, heart, chest are going to give out, and sometimes it's so bad that you actually hope they will. There's no way to describe them adequately.

Just in case, for future reference, what finally helped me, and helped other stuff as well, was taking 50 mg of magnesium glycinate (glycinate is the most bioavailable form of mag that doesn't cause intestinal distress, sticking to the euphemisms here) every hour. Sometimes, when the panic attacks were really bad, I'd take it every 30-45 mins, with no ill effects. It kicked in pretty quickly, a matter of a couple of weeks during which time there were flickerings of improvement, but that was followed by palpable improvement, gradual but persistent.

I did other things as well, including reconfiguring my diet til, like your husband, I was down to about 4 things I knew wouldn't cause reactions. I added more potassium in a half-hearted way til I read a post by @Mary and increased it a few months ago, adding 1/4 tspn of Ceylon cinnamon (all the rest have huuuuge amounts of coumarin in them so not a good choice for steady dosing) when I read a study that indicated that cinnamon had an inhibitory effect on glutamate/NMDA triggered reactions. I also added 1/8 tspn of sea salt to soothe the adrenal gllands. That also helped.

If you think more info might be helpful, let me know and I'll go back thru notes for more specifics.

But the first major change was brought about by the steady, all-day small doses of magnesium, and then the potassium/salt/cinnamon electrolyte drink first thing in the AM.

Hoping you won't be need this info, but as I said, just in case .....

The way we cope with the really bad times is to focus every gram of energy we have on reading, researching, trying different things. I know this doesn't work for everyone,
I approach this total biatch of an illness in the same way, and for the same reasons, and it's the only other thing that works for me: it gives me a sense of progress and control and reduces the helpless, hopelessness of this. And it frequently yields extremely good information. It was an obscure Asian study that I found on Hindawi that gave me the info re cinnamon and I wouldn't have found it without desperate, deep, dedicated research in every second that I have even partial brain function.

Now, when I find something interesting I can share it here, and feel that more than my own interests are being served. Sometimes, when I've been POTSing or PEMing badly and don't have much of a brain, the offerings are pretty thin, but I post 'em anyway, cause who knows what will help whom?

It's really saved my sanity. And possibly my life. One of the many miracles of this site.

So you're right ..... you've got to keep punching thru the pain and the confusion and the brain fog and all the little side-dishes that come with that, because there's a small miracle out there somewhere that's going to make a very big difference, or lead to something else that makes another big difference. And you never know where you're going to find it.

For me, it's really important to keep myself focused on something other than always on how crappy he or I feel (which is not always easy or possible) and to also acknowledge and vent about it periodically. I think venting is really important
I used to underestimate the value of a good wheeze. Not any more. Being able to share the vent with the generous, supportive, understanding members here has made a huuuuge difference. Another one of this site's little miracles.

So keep reading, keep researching, keep experimenting, vent when you need to, and keep moving forward, even when it hurts.

Last edited:

Shoshana

Northern USA
You are always so appreciative and caring for us, too. Thank YOU for that!

Yet, We do understand it is still very hard, though, living the ways you are,
even with our encouragement and our honest caring, @sunshine44

SO do not hesitate to tell us, more of your difficulties. Anytime.
We are in this, together.
:star::heart: