• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Folate deficiency leads to macrophage inflammation.

Martial

Folate deficiency enhances the inflammatory response of macrophages.
Kolb AF1, Petrie L.
Author information

Abstract
B-vitamin deficiency is a risk factor for vascular disease. The mechanism by which the deficiency impacts on disease risk is unclear. We have analysed whether the inflammatory response of mononuclear cells can be modified by cellular folate status in vitro. We show that the mouse monocyte cell line RAW264.7 grown under folate restriction displays a decrease in intracellular folate levels and a reduced growth rate. The cells also show a 2- to 3-fold increase in expression of the inflammatory mediators, IL1β, IL6, TNFα and MCP1 at the RNA and protein level (p<0.01) under conditions of folate deficiency. In contrast the production of the vaso-protective mediator nitric oxide is significantly reduced under these conditions. These metabolic changes are independent of the concentration of homocysteine in the medium and occur in the absence of significant changes in global DNA methylation. Folate deficiency may therefore exacerbate cardiovascular disease by augmenting pro-inflammatory signals in the monocyte-macrophage lineage.

Copyright © 2012 Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23280395

I found this post very useful as it relates to another myth presented by some who mention increased inflammation WITH folate... I had a conversation with Fred and he mentioned this is due to paradoxical folate deficiency and not the folate itself which is very anti inflammatory.

Here is a post from another site that mentions the raised inflammation from folate.

http://mthfr.net/methylfolate-side-effects/2012/03/01/