• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Focal encephalitis following varicella-zoster virus reactivation without

Ecoclimber

J Infect Dis. 2014 Mar 5. [Epub ahead of print]

Focal encephalitis following varicella-zoster virus reactivation without rash in a healthy immunized young adult.
Halling G1, Giannini C, Britton JW, Lee RW, Watson RE Jr, Terrell CL, Parney IF, Buckingham EM, Carpenter JE, Grose C.
Author information

Abstract

Herein we describe an episode of focal varicella-zoster virus (VZV) encephalitis in a healthy young man with neither rash nor radicular pain. The symptoms began with headaches and seizures, after which a MRI detected a single hyperintense lesion in the left temporal lobe. Because of the provisional diagnosis of a brain tumor, the lesion was excised and submitted for pathological examination. No tumor was found. But the tissue immunostained positively for VZV antigens and wild type VZV sequences were detected. In short, this case represents VZV reactivation, most likely in the trigeminal ganglion, in the absence of clinical herpes zoster.

Reference: the Lights' study on Varicella-Zoster virus and the dorsal ganglia on PR
Light on ME/CFS III: A Different Herpes Virus for CFS? – Varicella-Zoster, Shingles and ME/CFS

Eco