• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Flu shot? I'm not even tempted, but....

barbc56

Okay, so if the vaccine makes you sick, doesn't that mean the flu will REALLY make you sick?

Just asking.:)

Dreambirdie

work in progress
I would not consider risking a flu shot.
I have had bad reactions to shots in the past and I don't want to go through that again.

I am eating 8 shiitake mushrooms/day to boost immunity, and taking a few doses of anti-vral herbs as a prophylactic measure.

I've also found it important to:
1) bring my mask when I'm out in public, and put it on if I hear someone sneeze or cough
2) wash my hands after any trips out into the world
3) wash my hands after any contact with money and the mail
4) request everyone who comes into my house wash their hands
5) not eat any raw food until flu season is over.

That's the best I can do for prevention.

rosie26

It's quite rare to see people wearing a mask in my country during the cold/flu season. That's great you do it @Dreambirdie. I might think about it this winter especially when sitting in the doctors waiting room as I have caught many colds sitting next to someone full of cold there.

I will have a hard time trying not to laugh though, as I will probably have people looking at me very worried that they may catch something nasty off me - not realizing that I am trying to protect myself from them.

Last edited:

Dreambirdie

work in progress
@rosie26 It's taken me a while to let go of my embarrassment about wearing a face mask. Being an introvert, I don't like to stand out, and wearing a mask used to make me feel like the obvious "weirdo" in the crowd. I've mostly gotten over that now, so it's easier to put the mask on when I need to, and often worth it if I am around sick people or people drenched in assorted fragrances.

Valentijn

Okay, so if the vaccine makes you sick, doesn't that mean the flu will REALLY make you sick?
No, it doesn't mean that.

It means that ME/CFS patients are reacting abnormally to something in the vaccine. It's possible that the reaction is to the dead virus itself, but that would suggest that catching the flu is also triggering an mysterious immune reaction lasting in excess of a month. It's also possible that the reaction is to other ingredients in the vaccines - egg, metals, etc.

Since I'm homebound and not mingling with the masses anyhow, I don't think the potential benefits of a flu shot outweigh risks associated with a definite abnormal immune reaction to that flu shot.

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
Ironically, I began getting flu shots after I had the ‘terrible flu’ from which I never completely recovered.:ill: I didn’t want to get that sick again!:nervous: I had a mild and consistent reaction over the about 18 years that I did it, despite the fact that my ME was getting worse. I did stop a few years ago after reading that it was not recommended for ME patients.

Since I did have a reaction, I think I did seroconvert. I am thinking about getting one again this year. The flu is getting fairly bad here and I would hate to get it and pass it on to my parents who are elderly and frail.