• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Extended B cell phenotype in patients with ME/CFS: a cross-sectional study

Vasha

This is not available yet on PubMed, but the abstract is. I am not sure if the article is available without a subscription.
This was funded by Invest in ME (thank you, Invest in ME!).

Link: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26646713

Clin Exp Immunol. 2016 May;184(2):237-47. doi: 10.1111/cei.12749. Epub 2016 Feb 22.

Extended B cell phenotype in patients with myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome: a cross-sectional study.

Mensah F1, Bansal A2, Berkovitz S3, Sharma A1, Reddy V1, Leandro MJ1, Cambridge G1.
Author information

1 Department of Rheumatology Research, Division of Medicine, University College of London.
2 Department of Immunology, Epsom and St Helier University Hospitals NHS Trust.
3 Department of Neurology, Royal London Hospital of Integrated Medicine, London, UK.

Abstract

Myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) is a heterogeneous condition of unknown aetiology characterized by multiple symptoms including fatigue, post-exertional malaise and cognitive impairment, lasting for at least 6 months.

Recently, two clinical trials of B cell depletion therapy with rituximab (anti-CD20) reported convincing improvement in symptoms. A possible but undefined role for B cells has therefore been proposed.

Studies of the relative percentages of B cell subsets in patients with ME/CFS have not revealed any reproducible differences from healthy controls (HC). In order to explore whether more subtle alterations in B cell subsets related to B cell differentiation exist in ME/CFS patients we used flow cytometry to immunophenotype CD19(+) B cells. The panel utilized immunoglobulin (Ig)D, CD27 and CD38 (classical B cell subsets) together with additional markers.

A total of 38 patients fulfilling Canadian, Centre for Disease Control and Fukuda ME/CFS criteria and 32 age- and sex-matched HC were included.

We found no difference in percentages of classical subsets between ME/CFS patients and HC. However, we observed an increase in frequency (P < 0·01) and expression (MFI; P = 0·03) of CD24 on total B cells, confined to IgD(+) subsets.

Within memory subsets, a higher frequency of CD21(+) CD38(-) B cells (>20%) was associated with the presence of ME/CFS [odds ratio: 3·47 (1·15-10·46); P = 0·03] compared with HC, and there was a negative correlation with disease duration.

In conclusion, we identified possible changes in B cell phenotype in patients with ME/CFS. These may reflect altered B cell function and, if confirmed in other patient cohorts, could provide a platform for studies based on clinical course or responsiveness to rituximab therapy.

© 2016 British Society for Immunology.
KEYWORDS:

B cells; chronic fatigue syndrome; flow cytometry; human; myalgic encephalomyelitis

--
I am completely unprepared to comment on it :) -- but thought it might be of interest. @Jonathan Edwards ? @Valentijn ?

Vasha
[edited to break up the abstract text][Edit two: now with link, thanks to @shannah]

Last edited: