• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

"Explaining the Unexplainable: Chronic Fatigue Syndrome"

Snowdrop

Rebel without a biscuit
@A.B. As far as I'm concerned---thanks for speaking up. Reading some of the other stuff made me see red (although Carolyne Wiltshire had a very excellent post.)

There are two things that bother me when this sort of article comes out and the comments flow in.

First, immediately people opine how it really works--and they think they are refuting a post made by someone with ME but in their own post it is clear that they are healthy but had an injury that caused them pain that did not heal immediately. As they wanted to keep active (one might imagine) when a week of pain meds don't suffice they look elsewhere--inevitably in present culture meditation or some related somatic fix is readily available/highly hyped.

What they fail to grasp is that if they did nothing at all it's just as possible that the pain would have resolved over time--but the therapy gets the credit.

The fatigued and pained are not the disease process that is ME yet that's how the thinking goes. I expect it likely that ME has more in common with the common cold than it does with pain that doesn't immediately resolve or fatigue of unknown origin. This inevitably leads me to a peeve of mine. Use of the 'F' word.

Personally, I'd call what I have Ramsey's Disease in a heartbeat if I thought it would gain traction--I won't spend precious energy lobbying for that though. But I will lobby to stop the use of CF/CFS. I know that this is what other people know. But the term has been used together with ME as in ME/cfs for a while now. And we are gaining recognition. I think personally it's time to leave the "F' word behind. It's insulting and patronising which is what it was meant to be.
ME may or may not be accurate but I can live with it while waiting (rather impatiently) for knowledge of something more specific.

Back to the comments--inevitably even when we write very good comments using cfs gets people thinking we mean fatigue and/or pain. With ME we might hope to interrupt that.

Second, <big sigh> is this new age notion of the brain directing our every process and getting the brain conflated with mind so that 'the brain' (used to be the mind) consciously directs bodily processes--our will has been set free to do pretty much anything except maybe toast our morning bread with laser thoughts.

I lack specific science knowledge with which best to argue against this trend (and it is a fashion). There is yet lots we don't know actually. For example how does the weak electrical field around us affect the chemical processes that take place? I wish I could find some well written argument for why this brain stuff is bumph. I know it sounds compelling. It has the advantage of closing off any further inquiry--no need to know more--easily consumed by those of us with no science training while sharing a coffee with friends. This using your brain to affect healing to me is no different from using your mind to attract money to you which you can learn about at ever so many seminars for a not inconsiderable fee.

This is science shooting itself in the foot when these comments are made. Too many crappy theories shared with way too much hype and dumbed down for the simplest consumption.

OK so I've been wanting to get this off my mind for a while. :bang-head::bang-head::bang-head::D

frozenborderline

What??!!! Are they really turning into monists, or are they just paying lipservice to the idea so they can continue to be closet dualists? It all depends on how they think and reason about brain. If they consider brain as an instantiation of mind, but mind is still a separate thing with powers all its own, then they are still dualists.
This flitting between a reductionist monism and a magical-thinking dualism seems common in psychiatry. Everything doctor's don't understand, they refer to psych concepts to explain them. Psychologists eagerly rush in to fill the gaps with their frivolous "theories of mind". But then to shore up the concepts and make them sound "scientific" they resort to pop neuroscience. It's a weird hat trick that seems to work incredibly well on a good portion of the public. I think there was a study that showed laypeople would tend to prefer writing about art that had neuroscience jargon in it but was ultimately totally incoherent scientifically, over a dry but sound literary theory reading of the same art.