• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Exercise induces leaky gut and immune reactions! PEM explained??

natasa778

Interesting!

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/06/150616093646.htm

Blood samples taken before and after the events, compared with a control group, proved that exercise over a prolonged period of time causes the gut wall to change, allowing the naturally present bacteria, known as endotoxins, in the gut to leak into the bloodstream. This then triggers a systemic inflammatory response from the body's immune cells, similar to a serious infection episode.

Significantly the study found that individuals who are fit, healthy and follow a steady training program to build up to extreme endurance events, develop immune mechanisms to counteract this, without any side effects.

However individuals who take part in extreme endurance events, especially in the heat and with little training, put their bodies under enormous strain above the body's protective capacity. With elevated levels of endotoxins in the blood, the immune system's response can be far greater than the body's protective counter-action...

The research team found that people who were fitter and trained over a longer period of time leading into the ultra-marathon event had higher levels of Interleukin 10 -- an anti-inflammatory agent, which allowed them to dampen down the negative health impacting immune response.

"The body has the ability to adapt and put a brake on negative immune responses triggered by extreme endurance events. But if you haven't done the training and you're unfit -- these are the people who can get into trouble," Dr Costa said.

Yes they talk about extreme exercise but what if in ME the bar is just so much lower for this effect to take place (ie endotoxin leak through gut lining into bloodsteam following less than extreme strain) AND/OR the subsequent calming down of the immune system does not take place as it should ... and voila PEM?

Last edited:

natasa778

The study (abstract) itself, even more interesting considering IL-8 also correlated

The study aimed to determine circulatory endotoxin concentration, cytokine profile, and gastrointestinal symptoms of ultra-endurance runners (UER, n=17) in response to a 24-h continuous ultra-marathon competition (total distance range: 122–208 km) conducted in temperate ambient conditions (0–20°C) in mountainous terrain. Body mass and body temperature were measured, and venous blood samples were taken before and immediately after competition. Samples were analysed for gram-negative bacterial endotoxin, C-reactive protein, cytokine profile, and plasma osmolality. Gastrointestinal symptoms were also monitored throughout competition. Mean exercise-induced body mass loss was (mean±SD) 1.7±1.8% in UER. Pre- and post-competition plasma osmolality in UER was 286±11 mOsmol·kg−1 and 286±9 mOsmol·kg−1, respectively. Pre- to post-competition increases (p<0.05) were observed for endotoxin (37%), C-reactive protein (2 832%), IL-6 (3 436%), IL-1β (332%), TNF-α (35%), IL-10 (511%), and IL-8 (239%) concentrations in UER, with no change in the control group (CON; n=12) observed (p>0.05). Gastrointestinal symptoms were reported by 75% of UER, with no symptoms reported by CON. IL-10 (r=0.535) and IL-8 (r=0.503) were positively correlated with gastrointestinal symptoms. A 24-h continuous ultra-marathon competition in temperate ambient conditions resulted in a circulatory endotoxaemia and pro-inflammatory cytokinaemia, counteracted by a compensatory anti-inflammatory response.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/06/150616093646.htm

ahmo

in extreme endurance events, especially in the heat and with little training, put their bodies under enormous strain above the body's protective capacity.
I'd been very slow to recover from a viral infection, labeling myself chronically fatigued. 3.5 years later, traveling in Europe during the 2003 heat wave, my body collapsed into ME.

barbc56

Are there statistics that show extreme exercise has ever induced a case of blood poisoning or are the authors suggesting that the same blood changes occur as sepsis? I have no idea or even if they are saying something completely different.

I think the big question is if this can be extrapolated to a more sedentary population as well as me/cfs.

The study also says possible link which is not the same as cause and effect.

Indeed interesting.

Barb