• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Exercise induced tachycardia

Marky90

Science breeds knowledge, opinion breeds ignorance
Hi guys!

So I was going over my medical journal, when I discovered that I actually had an abnormal 24-hour EKG back in the autumn of 2014, which was not followed up.

Background: I originally thought my problems were heart-related, as my ME started off with exercise intolerance. And when I first got sick I discovered that my heart would start to beat irregularily if I went out jogging and pushed myself beyond the exhaustion. Due to this I have undergone extensive heart testing (stress testing on bike, 2 echos and more), which were all fine. However - my 24-hour EKG showed exactly what I experienced: Marked tachycardia responses to exercise (7 SVES and 1 VES), and bradycardia episodes at night, and transient elevated ST.

So i googled transient elevated ST, and up came BRUGADA SYNDROME.. Suffice it to say, I did not sleep last night:p Well, I suppose the cardiologist would see if that was the case..

My question is related to the tachycardia..Does anyone else with ME experience this when jogging (as in early in your illness)? I somewhat doubt that there is something electrically wrong with my heart, as that is very rare, and the symptoms started when my ME started.. On the other hand, knowing what we know of our disrupted circulation and so forth, i suppose exercise induced tachycardia could be a plausible consequence of pushing my body outside of its capacity.

I also experienced 'extra beats' very regularly and in fact this always is more pronounced during a relapse for me and then almost disappears after I recover from the relapse. I probably noticed the appearance of extra beats before any other symptom and before I realised I was unwell. In addition, once my illness became really apparent, I experienced prolonged heart rate recovery time after exercise (I still played tennis for a little while after my illness appeared....though struggled).