• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Excreting Folic Acid?

Hello. I hope some of you can help me find the answers to the following questions: (And I am asking about Folic Acid and NOT Methylfolate):

1.) How long does Folic Acid stay in our body? (do we really "accumulate" Folic Acid?)

2.) What is the route of excretion of Folic Acid? is it via urine? via feces? or both?

3.) How can we hasten the excretion of Folic Acid?

Thanks for your help,
Silverseas2014

caledonia

Hi, I heard the answer to this recently - sorry I can't remember exactly where, but it is a reliable source (maybe Ben Lynch?) It takes about three months for excess folic acid to be excreted. For example, if you were eating fortified foods or standard multivitamins with folic acid in them.

I don't know if there's anything you can do to hasten excretion. I don't know the exact route of excretion, or if there are several routes.