• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Ethnomedicinal products in the development of anti-herpesvirus agents

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Far too much for me to read - I got a bit of the way down, looks interesting though, can anyone sum it up briefly for those of us unable.

Iquitos

I can't sum up but I did take a look. It's mostly about herbal meds for herpes simplex 1 & 2, but there was a little about EBV and CMV (use garlic, Listera ovata and Urtica dioica).

EBV: Recommended tannins from the euphorbias, Phyllanthus myrtifolius and P. uriniaria; Eucaluptus grandis; the quassinoids ailantinol B & B and ailanthone. And Geum japonicum tannins and Syzygeum aromaticum tannins.

In general recommended quercetin and the flavinoids; resveratrol from green tea and red wine.

And mentioned moringa, which I am trying and is being researched for MECFS right now.

No practical application as no dosages are mentioned and their in vivo experiments are all on rats, mice, rabbits, etc. Mainly a theory that these herbals could supplement, enhance or replace acyclovir as treatments.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
thanks @Iquitos
a lot of herbs to choose from - what made you try moringa, which virus? what dosage do you take? is it having any effect?

I keep trying to take garlic but I can't seem to tolerate it, apart from a little in food - maybe have too much of a bacterial die off - I don't know.

Iquitos

Moringa is touted as some kind of "miracle plant" and is used for nutrition in poor countries, as well as for natural medicine. It's full of antioxidants for one thing. I don't take it for any specific virus although I've been tested for EBV and found to have high titres.

I take 3000 mg/day - three large capsules of the dried leaf powder. I think it's doing something good -- less food cravings, losing some weight without trying very hard -- but don't know really whether it's doing anything about viruses. I haven't been tested for any other than EBV -- don't have a doc that knows anything. I just try to eat some of these herbs, like garlic and rosemary, because I like them. And I take tumeric which is supposed to be effective against viruses.

I suspect we'll only get this kind of research from places like India since BigPharma can't make a billion bucks off of these herbs. That's unfortunate.