• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Essential oils (aromatherapy)

KRR

Has anyone used aromatherapy oils for ME/CFS issues? I've just started trying out some Young Living oils and like them a lot. I'm doing so many different things that it's hard to pinpoint exactly what is helping, but I have a feeling that the oils are supportive, and I'm sure they've been helping emotionally.

I remember it was one of the first things I tried back in 1992. It didn't help. I think this illness is too serious for things like aromatherapy, homeopathy, meditation etc. However it is very pleasant and and a nice alternative to perfumes.

Ema

The quality of the oils is vital in aromatherapy. I think Young Living is a good brand. I've also gotten good oils from Ananda Apothecary.

I agree that it is not enough to effect a meaningful change in the very ill but it does make a nice adjunct to treatment. I use a combination of antiviral oils and those meant to stimulate the hypothalamus and brain in my bath (be careful though as the Young Living Thieves oil made my skin burn on contact. I put that one in a small saucer next to the bath and not actually in the water when I use it). It makes it smell nice and I don't worry about the toxicity like with synthetic bath products.

Ema

I am experimenting with YL oils, they seem to be a good brand, there is a whole set of recommendations for CFS in the Essential Oils Reference Guide, I will look it up and re-post. I haven't tried the protocol.

I had a debilitating chronic condition that had many CFS-like symptoms and have gotten my health back through treating myself with a few essential oils. In my case my problems all arose from a latent Chlamydia Pneumoniae infection. Aromatherapy sounds a bit fluffy but the oils are actually quite powerful when applied topically or ingested.
I've written an account of my experiences here: http://cpnhelp.org/potential_new_protocol

Seewell

Yes tryed aromatherapy,i find Lavender helps me with my sleep,and is relaxing.

I had a cat (he died,i miss him)and i hated using the chemical flea treatments you can buy. So i found
an essential oil flea repellent,it had, eucalyptus / radiata / mentha piperita oils in it.
Unfortunately it did not stop the fleas!.:cat:
But it sure did smell good ! .So i used it as my own body/cloths deodorent.Lasted for years.

I also enjoy using them for a whole room, with a tea light oil burner.Love the orange blossom

"Supportive" yes.I think they are no cure,but i have enjoyed using them.
Found some types of oil to over powering for my sick body/over stimulating.

Interesting thread,maybe there is a magic one out there.:)

Edit:
Hi Kathyskes,after reading your post you inspired me,i went looking all i could find in relation
to M.E was this.

Aromatherapy for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

by
Joie Power, Ph.D.

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome is a poorly understood chronic illness that presents with complaints of persistent, unexplained fatigue together with various combinations of other flu-like symptoms such as recurrent sore throat, headache, joint and muscle pain, poor concentration, irritability, depression, low-grade fever, and swollen lymph nodes. Although no cause has been conclusively identified, it is commonly accepted that the syndrome reflects the presence of a smoldering viral infection in persons whose immune response has been compromised by chronic physical or psychological stress.

Although no definitive "cure" has been discovered for CFS, holistic regimens emphasizing diet, moderate exercise, herbal and nutritional supplementation, massage therapy, and stress reduction have proven helpful in reducing symptoms and aiding recovery.

Aromatherapy is also an important component in holistic approaches to CFS and there are a number of essential oils which can ease symptoms and support healing processes in persons with CFS and related disorders. Specifically, essential oils such as Chamomile, Geranium, Peppermint, Lavender, Lemon, and Marjoram can be helpful, when used appropriately, for boosting the immune system, promoting relaxation, easing muscle pain, lifting mood, and improving sleep quality.

Try the following combination of essential oils in a warm (not hot) bath to ease stress and muscle pain:

3 drops Lavender (Lavandula angustifolia)
2 drops Petitgrain (Citrus aurantium var. amara)
1-2 drops Frankincense (Boswellia cateri) - optional

Use only Therapeutic Quality Essential Oils. Draw the bath first, mix the essential oils with a tablespoon of milk, add to the bath water, swirl them around with your foot, get in and relax. Allow yourself 10 to 20 minutes. Do not get the bath water in your eyes, as the oils will sting. Use this formula once a day for 3 or 4 days a week over a two to three week period.

There are many readily available aromatherapy reference books that offer further suggestions for utilizing essential oils in CFS. Check the indexes for "Chronic Fatigue Syndrome" and "Myalgic Encephalomyelits", or ME, which is the term more commonly used in England.

*This information is provided for educational interest and is not intended to diagnose, treat, or cure any disease.

Copyright © 2010 Joie Power, Ph.D. / The Aromatherapy School | All Rights Reserved

I remember it was one of the first things I tried back in 1992. It didn't help. I think this illness is too serious for things like aromatherapy, homeopathy, meditation etc. However it is very pleasant and and a nice alternative to perfumes.

I don't think there's such a thing as an illness that's "too serious" to treat with essential oils. They're used for everything from cancer to schizophrenia.

I suspect we are all so defensive about ME being regarded as imaginary or trivial that we can maybe tend to be wary of trying "alternative" treatments in case it seems to confirm how weird/flakey/crazy/hypochondriacal we are. We want to be taken seriously dammit, even if we have to poison ourselves courtesy of Big Pharma in order to do it. But that's a shame, because I think a lot of alternatives can offer hope to us.

So many conventional medicines come with side effects and their own iatrogenic illnesses. They can all take a toll on an already weakened or sensitive system. The end result can be they make things worse, or at least bring on as much suffering as they eliminate. Something like aromatherapy or homeopathy is at least virtually free of side effects and might as well be tried as a first step before going to anything more aggressive.

If they work it doesn't mean our illness wasn't serious. It just means we have been lucky enough to find a management tool that isn't going to bring a whole load of new suffering in its wake.

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
I don't think there's such a thing as an illness that's "too serious" to treat with essential oils. They're used for everything from cancer to schizophrenia.

I suspect we are all so defensive about ME being regarded as imaginary or trivial that we can maybe tend to be wary of trying "alternative" treatments in case it seems to confirm how weird/flakey/crazy/hypochondriacal we are. We want to be taken seriously dammit, even if we have to poison ourselves courtesy of Big Pharma in order to do it. But that's a shame, because I think a lot of alternatives can offer hope to us.

So many conventional medicines come with side effects and their own iatrogenic illnesses. They can all take a toll on an already weakened or sensitive system. The end result can be they make things worse, or at least bring on as much suffering as they eliminate. Something like aromatherapy or homeopathy is at least virtually free of side effects and might as well be tried as a first step before going to anything more aggressive.

If they work it doesn't mean our illness wasn't serious. It just means we have been lucky enough to find a management tool that isn't going to bring a whole load of new suffering in its wake.

Inhaled substances have direct access to the brain. No one questions the efficacy of inhaled anaesthetics, or anti-asthmatic drugs, do they? Or nerve gas? Or various illegal drugs which are inhaled?

A high percentage of modern medicines is based on synthetic versions of natural compounds. There is scientific evidence that numerous herbal treatments work. So why should anyone see aromatherapy as 'alternative'?

Many people with ME/CFS - myself included - also suffer from chemical sensitivity, so it is clear that inhaled fumes can have dramatic physiological effects.

If you can smell something, it means that you are taking chemicals into your brain. These may be natural chemicals or synthetic ones. They will also enter your bloodstream and from there travel throughout your body, and are likely to have some effect(s).

Mij

There are studies where lavender essential oils are used in nursing homes to calm dementia patients.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20649945

Of course people with sensitivities have to be careful. I've developed sensitivities but lavender oil does not bother me when used in a diffuser. I dont' know if it helps me in any way but I love the aroma.

I don't think there's such a thing as an illness that's "too serious" to treat with essential oils. They're used for everything from cancer to schizophrenia...

No, when I said that I think it is too serious for aromatherapy to treat or cure, I really mean that aromatherapy can not help in a serious way. Schizophrenia and cancer only have aromatherapy as a secondary thing to the main treatment of chemotherapy or drugs.
That's how aromatherapy is for M.E.

You are 100% right in your 2nd paragraph. I am often too defensive but I had some bad experiences that made me that way. I really didn't mean to put anyone off aromatherapy.

For some people with chemical sensitivity, aromatherapy can be a great non toxic alternative to perfumes.
The only perfumed body spray I can half tolerate:
camomile oil mixed with rose oil in alcahol and put in a spray bottle.

I used to use a menthol or Eucalyptus oil mix for muscle pain before I discovered zostrix cream...(which was much better.)

I sometimes use a mixture of Eucalyptus and peppermint oil in boilling water for inhalation for my sinus pain. It's in my first aid cabinet. I also have another ready made shop bought mixture of essential oils for inhalation but do not have the recipe. I read clove oil is supposed to kill viruses so I sometimes shove that in the inhalation too.

Aromatherapy isn't useless and is worth trying, especially for sinus pain, anti bacterial mouthwashes, etc... I just meant to say that it is not going to effect a meaningful effect in the very severely ill.