• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Equine protozoal myeloencephalitis (I wish I was a horse)

ScottTriGuy

Stop the harm. Start the research and treatment.
http://www.aaep.org/info/horse-health?publication=752

"Equine Protozoal Myeloencephalitis (EPM) is a master of disguise. This serious disease can be difficult to diagnose because its signs often mimic other health problems in the horse and signs can range from mild to severe.

More than 50 percent of all horses in the United States may have been exposed to the organism that causes EPM. The causative organism is a protozoal parasite called Sarcocystis neurona.

DIAGNOSIS

Diagnosis of EPM is difficult to make because there is no specific assay for this disease and because clinical signs of EPM mimic other neurological diseases. Your veterinarian will first conduct a thorough physical examination to assess your horse's general health and identify any suspicious signs. One notable clue is the disease often tends to affect one side or part of the horse more than another.

If your equine practitioner suspects EPM, he or she may order blood and cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) analysis. Cerebrospinal fluid may be collected by way of a special needle inserted into the spinal canal either in a site on the lower back or at the poll. Potential risks are involved with the procedure that should be discussed with your veterinarian. A positive blood test only means the horse has been exposed to the parasite, not that it has or will develop clinical disease. Prompt, accurate diagnosis is essential and treatment should begin immediately.

TREATMENT

The sooner treatment begins, the better the horse’s chances are for recovery. Sixty to 70 percent of EPM cases aggressively treated show significant or complete reversal of symptoms. Many horses are able to return to normal activity...."

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
Are you familiar with equine fibromyalgia?
http://www.justanswer.com/horse-health/373ql-hello-familiar-equine-fibromyalgia.html

[....] his symptoms have been interpreted as "bad behavior." He is irritable, cranky, volatile. Unwilling to move forward under saddle despite the crop, spurs, harsh bits. Choppy gaits, crow hopping, bucking. I am not his owner, I am a massage therapist. He cannot bear to be touched. Tries to bite & kick at the slightest, lightest touch. He is especially reactive in areas where he has had to tolerate greater pressure-behind forelegs, under tummy (girth) and over back (saddle). Saddle fit is not the problem. The owner has gone to great lengths to "fix" him. Acupuncture, herbs, laser treatments, etc. The last time I worked on him, it took awhile, but I was able to put my hand on him everywhere (very tentatively, though). He was so nervous, as though he was anticipating pain. When I was describing the session to the owner, I half-jokingly said-it's almost like he has fibromyalgia. When I got home, I looked up equine fibromyalgia & was surprised that it really existed. I read the article by Brenda Bishop-he has so many of the symptoms. I also think he has gastric discomfort as a result of his stress.[...]

[....]The other instance had presented with extreme agitation, and the horse would basically come unglued when handled.

Well, I come unglued when handled too, but I've never resorted to kicking or biting, although the impulse to do so has swept over me multiple times, depending on the handler. :eek: I just hate when they bring on the crops, spurs and harsh bits when I'm "unwilling to move forward.":mad:

Last edited:
My vet tech friend and I had a conversation like this the other day. Vets don't get to wiggle out of these things like human doctors do!

Then again, horses may have the short end of the stick in the animal world, because even though it doesn't get labeled as psychosomatic per se, many owners do assume they're just "being bad" and get aggressive with them, which isn't terribly different.

But the vets themselves can't say it's all in their head. :p