• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Eosinophilic Esophogitis

zoe.a.m.

I noticed one mention of this on another thread, but haven't found any other references on PR. Anyone have experience with this?

Just got my EGD/endoscopy results today and it shows this "allergic" condition, a hiatal type-1 hernia (sliding, better than the other kind I guess), and a high number of benign stomach lining polyps. I can't say these were the results I was expecting, but the EE explains my off-and-on dysphagia and reflux, though I'm not certain of what the immune implications are. The doctor said normally it is treated with steroids but he does not feel that is in any way a good choice for me as it suppresses the immune system and leads to opportunistic infections. Normally, he said, people are able to find connections between the symptoms and certain foods/drinks, but he understands that there are such delays for me in reactions and so many other things going on that there is no evidence to avoid any specific things. I suggested an intensive food sensitivity/allergy panel (through another doctor).

If anyone has any info to share, that would be great!

hixxy

I was diagnosed with EE around about the same time I came down with CFS/ME 6 years ago. I had the symptoms since I was in my early teens some 16 years ago, it just went undiagnosed despite trips to the gastroenterologist. I think you'll find it's linked to leaky gut. Seeing as I'm failing miserably to heal my leaky gut, the only way to control it for me is avoidance of triggers. It's a nightmare condition. The people who tend to get often test positive for allergies/intolerances to a LOT of foods.

Enid

I'm afraid I can't help zoe but having the same condition (with some polyps and no gastro answers) am watching my diet closely now (simplifying/smaller more frequent meals which the peristaltic action copes with better). Also attention to correction of gut bacteria has aided (initial antibiotic treatment then masses of probiotics). Could well be allergies for you though. Domperidone (? spelling) did aid me for awhile - I think much has to do with the nerves controlling the various parts of the digestive tract - richvank describes on Dainty's thread - severe GI problems.