• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Entire Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) Ruled Unconstitutional

zzz

From the New York Times:

Federal Judge in Texas Strikes Down Obama’s Affordable Care Act
  • The judge ruled on the grounds that the mandate requiring people to buy health insurance was unconstitutional and the law could not stand without it.
  • The case will almost certainly make its way to the Supreme Court, threatening the law’s survival and, with it, health coverage for millions of Americans.
See the main article at the above link.

An important point from the article:

The White House, in a separate statement late Friday, said: “We expect this ruling will be appealed to the Supreme Court. Pending the appeal process, the law remains in place.”​

So no immediate changes for now. People can still sign up for the ACA (if they haven't already) until tonight's deadline of midnight PST.

To put this ruling in perspective, you may find the Times article A Partisan Ruling on Obamacare useful. Its subtitle is, "A decision by a judge in Texas striking down the totality of the Affordable Care Act has little basis in law." That does not guarantee that his decision will not be upheld, however.

Gingergrrl

From the New York Times:

Thanks for posting this and I saw it on CNN last night but hadn't heard all the details yet.

The judge ruled on the grounds that the mandate requiring people to buy health insurance was unconstitutional and the law could not stand without it.

I disagree with the judge and don't see how the elimination of the individual mandate overturns the entire ACA!

So no immediate changes for now. People can still sign up for the ACA (if they haven't already) until tonight's deadline of midnight PST.

I had ACA insurance from 2014 to the present but will no longer have it starting in Jan and will have a different plan (due to other circumstances and not b/c of this law). What happens to all of the people who still have ACA plans next year if this new ruling is upheld?!! (rhetorical question and I know that no one knows the answer but it is horrifying to think that people with pre-existing conditions might no longer be insurable again :aghhh:)

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Please keep the forum rule: "No politics (unless related to ME/CFS)." in mind when responding to this thread: It is fine to comment on the thread topic, as it is related to how we get our healthcare in the US. Just please avoid any partisan comments. Thanks!