• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Embargo broken: Bristol University Professor to discuss trial of quack cfs tx

Londinium

That would be a bit of a strawman argument on their part. A 'result' doesn't mitigate against dodgy ethics. The end doesn't justify the means.

Agreed, but it's the approach I would expect. Test something that is clear quackery with no effect at all and you're open to criticism that the trial should never have taken place. Show a little effect (less than your preferred brand of GET, of course) and you can use the dodgy defence of "well, it was worth a shot".

Large Donner

What is the school leaving age, now?
There actually is no such thing as a school leaving age. School is just a club you agree to attend you can deregister at ANY time with a simple letter to the head teacher telling him the name of the child and you wish the child taken off the register. A child's education is the responsibility of the parent, by means of state, private or home education. You actually opt into state education if you send kids to state school, there is ZERO legal obligation ever to do this.

http://home-ed.info/home_education_deregistration

Last edited:

anniekim

Sadly our paediatrician phoned at lunchtime. She has been copied in to tests and referrals our GP has agreed to as my daughter is now 16. Lupus, Lyme and referrals to immunologist (ebv trigger and reactivation) and endocrinologist ( hpa axis and thyroid technically within range but creeping towards hypo with lots if hypo symptoms).

She wishes to refer us to Esther Crawley which i have refused. I did suggest julia newton as i could not think of anyone else on the spot. Any suggestions would be welcomed.

As my daughter is too ill for school and CAMHS ( and this is not well understood), i fear us being framed as " persistent refusal syndrome" candidates.

I have contacted tymes trust meantime.

@anni66. Dr William Weir, London based, as a private option, too far?

lilpink

Agreed, but it's the approach I would expect. Test something that is clear quackery with no effect at all and you're open to criticism that the trial should never have taken place. Show a little effect (less than your preferred brand of GET, of course) and you can use the dodgy defence of "well, it was worth a shot".

I'm not saying you're wrong in that they could well come up with something so ridiculous, but that would play nicely into 'our' hands because everyone else in the scientific community could also see how ridiculous it is too. Short of them coming out and admitting 'mea culpa, it's a quack therapy, our cohorts were **** and we shouldn't have exposed children to it at all, it's an unethical, statistical nonsense' whatever they say will be used against them. But they are so stupid, and so lacking in imagination I suspect your analysis of the situation could well be on the money. It just won't play.

Dx Revision Watch

Suzy Chapman Owner of Dx Revision Watch
There actually is no such thing as a school leaving age. School is just a club you agree to attend you can deregister at ANY time with a simple letter to the head teacher telling him the name of the child and you wish the child taken off the register. A child's education is the responsibility of the parent, by means of state, private or home education. You actually opt into state education if you send kids to state school, there is ZERO legal obligation ever to do this.

Thank you, I am well aware of that.

The point being: if you have a child on the school register who is not attending school then the Education Welfare Officer/School welfare officer/school attendance officer is involved.

Therefore the school leaving age has some relevance - if the family isn't considering taking their daughter off the school register in order to home educate.

I don't know, but she may also be in receipt of home tuition provided by the Scottish equivalent of the LEA. Or she may be attempting to continue with the school's syllabus for examinations and receiving assistance from the school's teachers with this.

Last edited:

Hajnalka

I realize that this discussion was about Scotland, but in general, that depends on the country. In Germany there is actually compolsory school attendance, a legal obligation that kids have to go to school. No exeptions are made, e.g. religious groups who want to homeschool have to leave the country. Parents can get money fines, lose custody and even be sent to jail and kids can be collected by police and brought to school. That's another problem for parents of kids with ME here, if the diagnosis ME is not accepted.

anni66

mum to ME daughter
Thank you, I am well aware of that.

The point being: if you have a child on the school register who is not attending school then the Education Welfare Officer/School welfare officer/school attendance officer is involved.

Therefore the school leaving age has some relevance - if the family isn't considering taking their daughter off the school register in order to home educate.

I don't know, but she may also be in receipt of home tuition provided by the Scottish equivalent of the LEA. Or she may be attempting to continue with the school's syllabus for examinations and receiving assistance from the school's teachers with this.
Our school are trying to he as supportive as they can. I did complain about a few issues and the " quality improvement officer" got involved - she was originally a biochemist who understands things better than medics ( sad but true) so they gave not pushed the formal attendance button. I' ve had a productive meeting this morning re gradual return when able and potentially piloting virtual education ( not available in Scotland) for kids with chronic illness. It' s mainly the medical side which is frustrating and disappointing.

Dx Revision Watch

Suzy Chapman Owner of Dx Revision Watch
@Large Donner

In our situation (19 years ago), our son received four years of home tuition provided by the LEA, supplemented by tuition in two additional subjects delivered for two years by me. Provision of home tuition had the continued support of the hospital senior paediatric registrar, the school's head and the EWO.

Had this not been the case, we would have taken him off the school register and home educated.

Valentijn

Parents can get money fines, lose custody and even be sent to jail and kids can be collected by police and brought to school. That's another problem for parents of kids with ME here, if the diagnosis ME is not accepted.
The Netherlands has a similar problem. Home schooling is not allowed, except by a licensed teacher, and most schools don't want to pay for that. So it's a fight for parents with sick children.