• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Elevated ESR levels

Tulip

So low ESR levels are meant to go hand in hand with M.E., but for the last 3 years mine have been on the higher side. What does this mean? Does anyone know? I also have arthritis, could this elevate it?.

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
ESR is a non-specific test that goes with varoius inflammatory diseases

have you had other tests that go with "normal", expected inflammatory and connective tissue diseases? i.e. ANA, Rheumatoid factor, C-reactive protein to start with? have you ever had a colonoscopy (or a reason to want one)?

If you've had any of the above tests, were the results abnormal (and which ones)? If you have not had them, you might ask for the blood tests (ask your doctor to investigate why your SED rate is abnormal), and ask about inflammatory bowel disease if that seems like a fit for you.

http://www.labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/esr/test.html

It does look like arthritis could case elevated SED all by itself.

taniaaust1

My ESR has been going up every year since 2006 in which it was in the mid range.... now its right at top of normal so I assume my next time its tested, it will be out of normal range.

ESR shows up things like rheumatoid arthritis so Ive assumed it is possibly due to rheumatoid arthritis running in my family and that I will get it like my nanna (Ive developed all the other health issues my nanna has.. so why not that one too).

Tulip

Thanks,

I have only had crp which are also past normal levels. GP was not interested in finding the reason for the elevated levels, but i'm off to the rheumatologist soon after I begged her. I was just interested as according to cheney if a patient has above normal esr levels they don't have ME/CFS. I thought that was an odd thing to use as a marker since the patient may have ME/CFS and something else..

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
correct, elevated ESR is not a typical finding in ME/CFS, but there is nothing to prevent you from having ME/CFS and, say, RA (rheumatoid arthritis).

In the diagnosis-by-exclusion scheme, used in the typical (but incorrect) manner, if they found any other major disease which could cause fatigue (and which would cause elevated ESR), such as RA or Lupus, then you would not be able to be diagnosed with CFS (ME/CFS) under Fukuda.

Properly, if the other disease was fully treated and you still had fatigue, or if you had symptoms not explained by the other disease, you should still be able to be diagnosed with CFS under Fukuda. However, this is more complicated than it seems because Lupus, for instance, can cause all sorts of neurological and other ME-type symptoms.

We need biomarkers to be accepted for ME/CFS (Klimas' NK cells, Jammes' neuromuscular dysfunction, etc.).