• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dysregulation of cytokine pathways in CFS and MS

ljimbo423

These cytokines can severely impact mitochondrial and brain function, which leads me to believe they might be causes of symptoms. But if cytokines decrease in long term patients (as Hornig's study indicates) while symptoms still persist, then perhaps not

This question has haunted me for a long time now!o_O It's very clear to me that LPS from my gut are causing symptom flares, I'm assuming from cytokine up-regulation. I took a course of Rifaximin a couple of months ago, after struggling with extreme die off from antibiotic herbs.

I tried to get to a therapeutic dose of herbs over 4 months, but I could not even get close to a reasonable dose because of the die off. After I took the Rifaximin, I was able to increase my dose of antibacterial herbs dramatically faster, without the profound die off. Since Rifaximin only works in the small intestine, not the large intestine and is not absorbed into the bloodstream.

It just makes sense, that the reason my die off, after the Rifaximin was so much less was because of the lowered bacteria count in the small intestine. My health has also improved overall greatly, do to the gut treatments I have been doing for the last 4-5 months.

So I really don't understand why they can't find the cytokines that the LPS activate, that are causing, at least in my view, some of the symptoms directly in cfs and maybe all the the symptoms, either directly or indirectly. Color me - :confused:. LOL

ljimbo423

@ljimbo423 have you tested your cytokine levels?

glad to hear you've had some success with the gut. I'm curious about drugs and supplements that directly affect cytokine levels

I haven't had my cytokine levels tested. If I did, I don't think it would change my treatment. My view is, that it's the LPS causing the immune dysfunction and cytokine imbalance. So, I'm targeting the gut with everything I can! (within reason-;)) I've read of many people getting improvement though, in many different ways. There is more than one path to the top of the mountain!:)