• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Drug companies flock to supercharged T-cells in fight against autoimmune disease

AndyPR

Another article I thought interesting, so I'm sharing here with you guys. It doesn't mention ME.
Researchers in both academia and industry are turning to immune-suppressing cells to clamp down on autoimmune disorders, and the effort is building to a fever pitch.

On 24 July, pharmaceutical firm Eli Lilly of Indianapolis, Indiana, announced that it would pay up to US$400 million to support the development of a drug — which entered clinical trials in March — that stimulates these cells, called regulatory T cells. And in January, Celgene of Summit, New Jersey, announced plans to buy a company working on a similar therapy for $300 million.

Other companies, from tiny biotechs to pharmaceutical heavyweights, are also investing in an approach that could yield treatments for a variety of disorders caused by an immune attack on the body’s own cells. Such conditions include type 1 diabetes, lupus and rheumatoid arthritis.

“It’s a field that’s just, like, crazy,” says David Klatzmann, an immunologist at Pierre and Marie Curie University in Paris, who has been studying regulatory T cells and advises a Paris company called ILTOO Pharma. “The competition is coming very hard. It’s going to be exciting to see where it goes.”
http://www.nature.com/news/drug-com...s-in-fight-against-autoimmune-disease-1.22393