• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dr David Tuller: Trial By Error: The CDC Drops CBT/GET

Large Donner

Not a theorist: an empirical observer of facts!

That's my whole point, the meme of "conspiracy theorist" has not been put into the public domain by other members of the public. However it is easily adopted by members of the public via cognitive dissonance partly and also with deliberate elements of red herrings etc.

Its got a whole history of itself with the purpose meant to stigmatize and dismiss the observer of a set of uncomfortable facts and warn others that the same fate awaits them if they pass on the same evidenced based observation.

That's how memes of health terrorists and the unquestioning belief in proclamations by psychologists etc can take on a life of their own.

Demepivo

Dolores Abernathy
The problem is that we are now in a situation where a doctor who expresses an opinion that is considered 'troublesome' may be told that their services are no longer required by their employer.

Very true. There is a prominent well respected member of the CMRC who told me privately their opinions on PACE, CBT & GET. They were not positive.

The person is important in their local NHS Trust & has done a lot of ME/CFS research with a good reputation internationally. They play the political game getting resources for the heir Trust & research.

Snowdrop

Rebel without a biscuit
I disagree. The comments I have been making of late in various journals and reviewer's reports are the mainstream academic view in the UK. It is just that 95% of UK medical academics have never thought twice about ME/CFS and have never heard of the BPS mumbo jumbo. For academics still in post it is too much hassle making their views known - even if they are interested. Psychological medicine certainly seems to be in deep trouble - but then that seems to be an international problem.

You are in a better position to judge than I am so I accept what you say. I guess the really salient point (and one that I would not notice as my life is lived in this bell jar) is that most people/GP's have never heard of ME which encompasses my everyday. I am very appreciative of your efforts Dr Edwards and hope that this BPS view is less mainstream than I imagine.

JaimeS

Plus they even get warnings re giving us anti depressants or and anti anxiety drugs.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

:cry:

I never thought I'd live to see the day.

While I know that there are still issues here, this in and of itself makes this patient -- who took 5-HTP at the advice of her doctor, and then spent the night having seizure after seizure -- very grateful.

A.B.

Very true. There is a prominent well respected member of the CMRC who told me privately their opinions on PACE, CBT & GET. They were not positive.

The person is important in their local NHS Trust & has done a lot of ME/CFS research with a good reputation internationally. They play the political game getting resources for the heir Trust & research.

Eventually more of these people will find the courage to speak up, if they feel safe enough.

NelliePledge

Point taken but what an utterly shocking indictment of the state of the NHS/medical professions.

Who are the ones ruling things in this manner, the hospital management? The government? The medical establishment "elites" with vested interests to promote their specific agendas eg BPS? Or all of the above?
Well said Daisymay. If the mainstream of medical opinion doesn't support BPS they are nevertheless contributing to the current position by not expressing their disagreement, abdicating that responsibility to patients.