• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dr David Tuller: More on the CDC; Reader's Digest; and the BBC's Newsbeat

Countrygirl

http://www.virology.ws/2018/05/23/trial-by-error-more-on-the-cdc-readers-digest-and-bbcs-newsbeat/
Trial By Error: More on the CDC; Reader’s Digest; and BBC’s Newsbeat
23 MAY 2018
By David Tuller, DrPH

It’s been almost a year since the CDC removed its recommendations for GET and CBT as treatments for ME/CFS (or CFS, or ME, or CFS/ME, or even SEID or whatever else one calls this illness or cluster of illnesses). When questioned about the decision, the agency explained that people had misunderstood what was meant by CBT and GET—not that the science behind the recommendations was indefensible, as was clearly the case. Despite the CDC’s unwillingness to provide a credible explanation for its actions, the change marked a significant victory over the CBT/GET ideological brigades.

And yet the treatments continue to be recommended by major medical organizations and websites in the U.S. Here, for example, is a section about ME/CFS treatmentfrom the Mayo Clinic’s site:

Graded exercise. A physical therapist can help determine what exercises are best for you. Inactive people often begin with range-of-motion and stretching exercises for just a few minutes a day. Gradually increasing the intensity of your exercise over time may help reduce your hypersensitivity to exercise, just like allergy shots gradually reduce a person’s hypersensitivity to a particular allergen.

The passage presumes that the illness involves a “hypersensitivity to exercise”

SilverbladeTE

well there is one thing about all this:

Wessely and Co are digging their own graves every time they open their mouths (as in professional reputation and so-called "research" being destroyed, and hopefully, jail cells for them for complicity in mass murder)
it's all on record, and one day, inevitably, they and the Establishment's bullshit will collapse, the political/oligarch/corporate scum at the top will hang the psychs out to dry as scapegoats to protect their own arses...they won't lift a finger to save the babblers!

none of these rats have honour or courage so as always, they'll turn on one another.

all the evidence of their guilt is out there, every time they spew their crap.

he who turns Queen's Evidence first, doesn't spend rest of his life in prison.
so they'll be so eager to talk....