• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Does the effect of probiotics depend on gender?

Do probiotics have a positive or negative effect on your condition?

• Total voters

Mij

Just started taking both of these. Found a lactose free kefir with 10 different strains. And of course naturally fermented sauerkraut with No vinegar just salt. I add whole flax seeds to kefir. So hoping this heals my gut, and reduces IBS-c, yeast infections and bacterial vaginosis. We shall see...

I eat the organic unpasteurized sauerkraut, unrefined sea salt with juniper berries. No vinegar or preservatives either.

Why do you add whole flaxseeds to your kefir? I grind mine or they just go right through me.

Clerner

@Mij Ijust figured more fiber? Harder work to break down? Is this wrong? I love the nutty taste of the whole seeds.
Why juniper berries? Do they have something special?
I try to eat lots of bluberries..

Richard7

The bacteria in yoghurt will also eventually break down the lactose into galactose and glucose, and consume the glucose.

I tried the GAPS diet back in early 2014, it did not work for me, but the long fermented yoghurt was good. I did the first fermentation in much the usual way: adding the culture (or a dried chilli) to sterile jars of milk that had been heated 85-90C for 30minutes or so and then cooled to 50C; and then keeping them warm in a yoghurt maker for 8 - 12 hrs. I just have the thermos type yoghurt maker.

I would then transfer the yoghurt to sterile la partfait jars and store them at room temperature as they continued to ferment until I needed them, maybe 5 days.

I did the same thing with kefir and coconut kefir (once I had strained the grains out.)

I have also tried, Tibicos, kefir, and coconut kefir which all seemed good for a time, and then became things I have an aversion too.

These days its just unpasteurised miso and korean bean paste, and home made lactofermented veges and kombucha. And a diet with lots of fibre

If I can manage to get the energy I want to try making the miso at home too.

GAPS pretty much shut me down, and coming off it I took a lot of commercial probiotics. The one I remember liking the best was O'Donnells flora balance which is Bacillus Laterosporus. I really don't like saccharomyces boulardii.

Mij

@Mij Ijust figured more fiber? Harder work to break down? Is this wrong? I love the nutty taste of the whole seeds.
Why juniper berries? Do they have something special?
I try to eat lots of bluberries..

From what I've read is that it's better to grind the flaxseeds just before eating because we don't break them down in our gut whole. I guess if you chew them it's ok, but that's too much work for me :)

Juniper berries taste nice combined with sauerkraut, as does caraway seeds. I never thought to look up to see if the berries had special properties, this is what I found. We would have to eat a lot of them to have any type of medicinal effect though, if any.

"How does it work?
Juniper berries contain chemicals that might decrease inflammation and gas. It might also be effective in fighting bacteria and viruses. Juniper might also increase the need to urinate."