• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Does immune-activation (adversely) lower cortisol?

outdamnspot

I tend to run in a sympathetic-dominant state. There are positives and negatives to this. On the one hand, my appetite is usually quite suppressed, and the 'aggressive drive' helps my motivation in seeking out treatments etc. It also tends to help my POTS symptoms. On the other hand, it causes a lot of anxiety, mood swings and insomnia.

I notice that any treatment which seems to activate the immune-system or result in die-off tends to put me in a 'low cortisol', parasympathetic state. The advantage of this is reduced physical anxiety, but it also leaves me feeling very demotivated, inattentive, foggy, constantly hungry and emotionally overwhelmed/helpless. Obviously neither state is ideal. But is this 'crashed' state simply a necessary by-product of activating the immune system, and should it improve with time?

I've noticed it with:

Garlic
Vitamin D
LDN
Probiotics (specifically Miyasarin)

... none of which I stuck with.

I decided to buy an earthing sheet because I've read so many reviews about it improving/normalizing cortisol and thyroid levels, and one woman on here claimed it cured her POTS; I was hoping it might actually help me tolerate other treatment strategies. I haven't paid off the sheet yet, but the company send me a complimentary wristband, which I received today.

I tried the wristband on while using the computer and after 5-10 minutes I began to feel worse .. I had just had my morning coffee + coconut oil, which tends to suppress my appetite for a few hours. Immediately, though, I began to feel very hungry and 'blah'/depressed. I lost interest in what I was doing. Then I went out to the store and my POTS was far worse: I crashed after walking a few blocks and had to come home pretty quickly because I was becoming hypoglycemic.

Now, I don't believe this is placebo. The day before I had 3 cups of coffee and went out for the afternoon with a friend, which is about my regular (but maximum) activity level without crashing too badly.

Again, after dinner, I tried on the wristband and crashed after 5 minutes.

Given that earthing activates the immune system and can produce 'detox' symptoms, is it possibly that I am simply crashing from that activation and that it may improve with time?