• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Do you think appropriate vaccines could prevent ME/CFS/SEID

msf

This one gives a bit more context:

polio_cases.jpg

msf

Sorry, that last one is actually quite hard to read isn't it? I can't tell the difference between 0-1 and No Data, and it doesn't seem possible to show that a country has No Data for either of the variables.

Mij

I'd love to say yes they would prevent but i'd never touch another vaccine as long as i live since tetanus finished me off.

I understand how you feel, I received a total of 4 vaccines during my viral onset and it may have been the tipping point of getting M.E.
That being said though, I would be the first in line for an Ebola vaccine if we were ever to get hit with it here!

Mij

Sigh. Ebola wasn't going to be prevalent in the U.S. It was an expierement by the U.S. Government. Don't believe look it up. The Ebola outbreak didn't happen until the Red Cross vaccinated the people in Africa.

I hope you guys can believe that if not then I don't know what else to say.

Give it 10 years there will be another outbreak of something. Remember the Swine flu?

Listen, viruses have been around since the Pharaoh's, potmarks similar to smallpox have been found on mummified Pharaoh's and tomb inscription during the same period showed wasted limbs that could be due to polio. The Red Cross wasn't around back then. The viruses are thought to be transmitted with the domestication of animals.
If you look at the occurence of viruses today ie SARS, AVIAN FLU and HIV and EBOLA- all from orginated from animals not the Red Cross.

lansbergen

@Mij

I'm surprised you got the vaccination while you had the virus. Isn't that usually contraindicated?

It is but sometimes the risk is taken. It is done in animals when the risk of not doing it is considered larger than do it.

@Mij Could it have been passive vacination?

Mij

"I'm surprised you got the vaccination while you had the virus. Isn't that usually contraindicated?[/QUOTE]

@barbc56 Yes it is contradicted. My onset was a sudden vertigo attack but I hadn't gotten ill yet, I had to be vaccinated for courses I was taking one month later and didn't think anything of it. I started becoming ill within the next 6 months.

For me I'd had the virus for 6 months, doc knew i'd been ill etc. but was still working 50 hours a week at the gym and was planning a 6 week trip to africa. Got tetanus done, planning to follow up with malaria drugs etc. bit later but never got that far. Started reacting to jab within hours, within a couple of weeks, i was losing control of my body, within a month, no longer fitness instructor and pretty much paralysed for 2 years with a skull that was 10 sizes too small for my brain plus 30 other symptoms.

Doc never mentioned any possible side effects nor made any issue of already having a 6 month virus so i never thought twice about it. :thumbdown:

Mij

@Hell...Hath...No...Fury.. your circumstance was more obvious since the reaction came soon after the tetanus shot. Probably the turning point or trigger since your immune system was already compromised at that point.

For me, the tetanus and rubella shots didn't have any noticeable effect, but soon after the Hep B shots my energy levels slowly started to diminish. Wasn't really ill yet but I found myself not having the stamina to walk very far.

@Mij it was the hep b that the UK government seemed to recognise in the link i posted earlier for compensations.

I think it was Dr. Shepherd (i could be wrong) who came across a lot of people 100-200 i think, who all developed ME when they had a hep b vax towards the end of a viral episode, the next highest vax to cause the same effect was tetanus. I could be remembering wrong though

SOC

i think the US has an above average number of conspiracy theorists and theories. At least that is the impression that i am getting from the outside. This stuff is virtually non-existent in many other countries.
Funny, the only conspiracy theorist I know is European. To say nothing of the conspiracy theories running rampant through the Middle East and Arab communities in Europe.

Maybe you hear more about US conspiracy theorists because the US is a very large country with a large, free, and vocal population. It may be a question of absolute numbers rather than percentages.

It's wise not to throw around stereotypes and generalizations. They are rarely meaningful or truthful, and often offensive.

Last edited:

msf

Aren't you generalizing about people who make generalizations, SOZ. Surely we aren't all weak-minded bigots with poor critical thinking skills!

As an aside, people generalize about things all the time on this forum - it would be very hard to have any sort of discussion otherwise. Generalizing (or categorizing) is how medicine works.

msf

I guess the difference here is that neither chipmunk1 nor I offered any data in support of our claims.

chipmunk1

Funny, the only conspiracy theorist I know is European. To say nothing of the conspiracy theories running rampant through the Middle East and Arab communities in Europe.

Maybe you hear more about US conspiracy theorists because the US is a very large country with a large, free, and vocal population. It may be a question of absolute numbers rather than percentages.

It's wise not to throw around stereotypes and generalizations. They are rarely meaningful or truthful, and often offensive. And it makes you look like a weak-minded bigot with poor critical thinking skills.

That was a neutral view from the outside. I wrote that I have the impression that the US has an above average number of conspiracy theories and conspiracy theorists. That is a subjective personal opinion.

That does not mean that there aren't conspiracy theorists outside the US nor that the US has more than anyone else. Also it does not mean that US citiziens are bad, paranoid whatever. Why do you consider this to be offensive?

And yes I do have heard a lot of this stuff coming form the middle east as well.

Why do I believe this:

Almost all theories that i heard of center around some US stuff. I don't know of any local conspiracy theories where I live our from countries close to me(EU). You don't hear anything about this. That doesn't mean that there aren't any. Just that they seem to be more common in US based discussions.

Personally I don't think of this either good or bad. It is just something that i noticed.

To a certain extent i can understand that citiziens in the US would trust their government less than in many other parts of the world. Just think about the mass surveillance scandal or iraq invasion. Scary stuff.

SOC said:
It's wise not to throw around stereotypes and generalizations

A generalization would have been if i had written all americans are conspiracy theorists.

They are rarely meaningful or truthful, and often offensive. And it makes you look like a weak-minded bigot with poor critical thinking skills.

Often offensive?

Which justifies referring to others as 'weak-minded bigots with poor critical thinking skills' just because someone had made a neutral observation that wasn't even intended as a criticism?

Last edited:

chipmunk1

I guess the difference here is that neither chipmunk1 nor I offered any data in support of our claims.

almost all message board discussions offer no data to support claims/opinions. even if they do they just link to some data has been rarely looked at closely just copied and glanced over.

i think that's fine. we don't need to write a scientific publication we are just sharing information and different viewpoints.

SOC

Aren't you generalizing about people who make generalizations, SOZ. Surely we aren't all weak-minded bigots with poor critical thinking skills!.
Well, if we're being picky, I said it makes people look like weak-minded bigots, not that they are. However, if you like, I'll take back that bit and delete it from my post, although it will show up in places it's been quoted.

People will make up their own minds. :):)

msf

Ah, but it 'makes them look' is a generalization about how people perceive those people. Please provide some data to back up this claim!

msf

Oh, and just to show how easy it is to generalize, and how it is often not done in an attempt to offend (assuming you didn't mean to offend), you made exactly the same generalization that I did, but about a different group of people: 'Funny, the only conspiracy theorist I know is European. To say nothing of the conspiracy theories running rampant through the Middle East and Arab communities in Europe.'

I was going to say that you are lucky there aren't many Arab people in this forum, but that would, of course, be a generalization!