• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Do you get floored by a warm shower?

Kenny Banya

I understand its pretty common.
I typically have a warm (definitely not hot) shower, then for the last 2 minutes turn the temperature down to as cold as I can bare, so I am not lying down for an hour afterwards.
(I have also been sitting down in the shower for 25 years now, except when its not my own place!)

Groggy Doggy

I drink a full glass of water with electrolytes, and rest a few more minutes. Then I tackle a shower and adjust the temperature as needed. I have sometimes stood in the shower in the coldest setting and not felt anything. Other times lukewarm is fine. I never take a shower when I am tired.

After my shower I drink another full glass of water.

I've come to the conclusion that there is no rhyme or reason to the temperature control thing. I just set the shower to whatever feels right on that day. I am also trialing showers before bed rather than in the morning. This seems to work....in that I get a better nights sleep and I don't waste the limited morning energy lying down after the shower. It also saves on the water bill since they seem to be a lot shorter.

I can still stand for a shower at the moment but need a lie down afterwards. Generally I have more energy later in the day than first thing. For me temperature control is more debilitating when I'm cold than when I'm hot ......but I do live in the uk. Winter months definitely are worse than the summer energy wise.

Showering for me is more draining because of the standing and stretching/bending rather than the temperature control, but it may of course be a combination.

ChrisD

Yes I get very dizzy and sleepy in a warm shower, I have only deduced that maybe it is relaxing all my muscles that were perhaps more stiff and uptight in the morning. So I try to have colder showers in the morning and warm at night

ScottTriGuy

Stop the harm. Start the research and treatment.
I"m the opposite.

Loooove the heat since ME - can lay in the sun all day and would if I could.

Its the cold I'm hyper sensitive to and can cause me to shake uncontrollably (I guess the body's attempt to generate heat) and I have to put on more layers, gloves, toque and curl into a ball under a blanket on my bathroom floor because I can crank the heat quickly in that small space - all of that leaves me exhausted, probably similar to how you experience hot showers...draining.

So it would seem some of us have the temperature 'sensors' very up or down regulated (but definitely not normally regulated).

I also sit, but I use a shower chair. Then I don't have to get onto and off of the floor. I also use a waterproof heart rate monitor, so I can pace myself. It gets very high from washing hair, scrubbing, etc.

I also keep my arms down as much, and at least keep my elbows down instead of pointing them out or up when washing hair. And I dip my head down instead of raising my arms so much.

When I'm done, I sit on a dry bench with a towel, and again wait for my heart rate to go down before drying off and such.

belize44

I keep a space heater in the bathroom and usually have to run it before I get into the shower because my body seems to think it's a lot colder than it is once I step out. On bad days I sit on a plastic stool and use a hand held hose to rinse off with.

When I tried exercising in a heated pool awhile back, this completely drained what little energy I had. So showers must be warm, bordering on cool which seems crazy since I get so sensitive to cold once I step out of it. :confused:

I can tolerate a warm shower, but only if it's a short one. If I spend too long in the shower then I'll suffer for it. I can't tolerate hot showers at all, nor can I tolerate a hot bath. I actually had to give up baths because I would always feel terrible afterwards. Drying myself after a shower probably tires me just as much as the shower itself. I should probably just buy a toweling dressing gown and dry off that way.

image.jpeg

valentinelynx

I used to use a shower chair. But for the past umpteen years I just take baths before bed and wash my hair in the sink in the morning. I will take a quick shower when I'm soaked through with sweat in a humid place, but never in the morning on rising—that would end the day for me.

overtheedge

showers make me feel much better usually, normally I cant tolerate heat and walk around with the least amount of clothes on that I can get away with, yet with water it's almost the opposite, lots of heat feels real good and cold bothers me somewhat.

If I'm having a day where I'm worse than usual I'll take a hot shower and quite often end up feeling better. Don't think it is good for my skin though, at least, when I take lots of hot showers the areas subjected most to the water start to hurt.

I especially use hot showers to help me sleep