• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Disabled claimants in UK to be told to get a job in 2 years or face a year's sanction.

Wonko

That suggests that UC will be exactly the same (i.e. just as abitarily unfair) as ESA is right now, if your in the WRAG and seriously disabled (i.e. not capable of work - which was what the WRAG was intended for when it was created - but not quite lucky enough to be in the support group - and it is luck), then you're stuffed with only 3 choices;

1. appeal and hope you get into the support group;

2. try and comply until you're incapable of doing so and then get sanctioned, as you'll be unable to meet the conditions to lift the sanction it's time to exit

3. try and comply until you get sanctioned, give up, wait until you starve, get evicted, lose everything, and then do the decent thing and save everybody the inconvenience of acknowledging your existence by dying in something nice and biodegradable, maybe something made out of cardboard.

The last 3 times I've used the first route, if I don't manage it next time then I will no longer be in the benefits system, or any other. the system is not fit for purpose unless that purpose is to remove the disabled, by whatever means necessary, from Government figures.

RogerBlack

That suggests that UC will be exactly the same (i.e. just as abitarily unfair) as ESA is right now, if your in the WRAG and seriously disabled (i.e. not capable of work - which was what the WRAG was intended for when it was created - but not quite lucky enough to be in the support group - and it is luck), then you're stuffed with only 3 choices;

Neglecting piles of stuff.

For many claimants (single, no large bank account, no recent work history) UC replaces ESA and JSA, with the exception that now for new claimants, there is no extra paid under universal credit if you get found ill, but not eligible for the support group.

The sanctions and other requirements on the claimant are 'similar'.
(There used to be wider differences, but in recent years, legislation was brought in to bring them closer).

There are lots of little issues, many of which may badly affect the disabled, but probably none worse than the removal of the component for those who are found able to do some work preparation, but not work.

Alvin2

The good news is patients don't die the bad news..
3. try and comply until you get sanctioned, give up, wait until you starve, get evicted, lose everything, and then do the decent thing and save everybody the inconvenience of acknowledging your existence by dying in something nice and biodegradable, maybe something made out of cardboard.
If i had to go this route i would make sure to die in the most public and government shaming way possible. If they insist on murdering us they will have to stomach the backlash.

Esther12

Thanks. I was just going to say that it sounds to me like skwkbox was over-interpreting some ambiguous aspects to all this.

From what I can make out from the information sent to me, it is someone who has attended a DWP course on 'CFS'.

How great we have Action for ME helping the DWP with their courses.

Is this something one of the ME charities could pick up on? The DWP should not be allowed to issue such a diktat without it being open to public scrutiny.

Action for ME are already promoting biopsychosocial rehabilitation to help people with ME/CFS get back to work directly to the DWP. What more could they do?

Last edited:

Invisible Woman

If i had to go this route i would make sure to die in the most public and government shaming way possible. If they insist on murdering us they will have to stomach the backlash.

Don't worry @Alvin2 they've thought of that. The staff even undergo courses so they can handle their "clients" committing suicide - & I don't mean teaching 'em not to drive the vulnerable to it in the first place..

As the govt & DWP sub contract companies to assess claimants they & the contractor get to blame each other or gaps in the system so no one is actually held to account..

We've had vulnerable people dying having being found fit for work here for years. It seems that as long as it's a disabled or chronically ill person that's ok.:cry:

hellytheelephant

So far my help with getting back to work (I was put in the WRAG last year) has been two phone conversations with my 'workcoach' one for nearly an hour and the last one for 8 minutes. I was also invited to an open day at the job centre where there were people who could 'Help with mental illness'. My year in the WRAG is coming to an end and I am being reassessed AGAIN from scratch...... although my workcoach has sent me another appointment for 3 months time.
Happy days.

Labelling ME as a mental illness, displays a woeful and offensive ignorance on the subject of both ME and mental illnesses. What person living with mental illness would be 'cured' by being forced into the job market anyway?!!!

How long before we are back to pre- victorian times in terms of the non- existence of public services, and the inhumane treatment of the sick, the old and those who weren't born with a silver spoon stuffed in their mouths...??

slysaint

Labelling ME as a mental illness, displays a woeful and offensive ignorance on the subject of both ME and mental illnesses. What person living with mental illness would be 'cured' by being forced into the job market anyway?!!!

How long before we are back to pre- victorian times in terms of the non- existence of public services, and the inhumane treatment of the sick, the old and those who weren't born with a silver spoon stuffed in their mouths...??
They'll just re-introduce Poorhouses.

Ambrosia_angel

This wouldn't be an issue is the job market wasn't so saturated and employers actually wanted to hire and look after disabled people. Employers don't want people with chronic illness because they are seen as a risk in terms of taking sick leave and requiring accommodation to hours. Not to mention that the job market is a mess nowadays in regards to job quality decreasing.

They are trying to be funny with this but I'm not laughing. They should make jobs available is the council and give people good wages then people with disabilities can work!!

Alvin2

Don't worry @Alvin2 they've thought of that. The staff even undergo courses so they can handle their "clients" committing suicide - & I don't mean teaching 'em not to drive the vulnerable to it in the first place..

As the govt & DWP sub contract companies to assess claimants they & the contractor get to blame each other or gaps in the system so no one is actually held to account..

We've had vulnerable people dying having being found fit for work here for years. It seems that as long as it's a disabled or chronically ill person that's ok.:cry:
Governments don't control the media or public opinion, they can't even predict how people will vote ;)

jimells

What need is there for charity? Are there no prisons? Are there no workhouses?

In the "Old South" the work coach was known as a "cracker" - the person who cracked the whip until the slave obeyed or died. "Work coach" sounds much more civilized, almost like the petty bureaucrat is actually trying to be helpful.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Invisible Woman

Governments don't control the media or public opinion, they can't even predict how people will vote ;)

Errrrr.... Science and Media Centre?

Sorry @Alvin2 but I'm afraid in the UK when it comes to the sick and disabled that's exactly what they do. Over the past at least 5 years, and probably more, they have been very carefully using language that puts an negative twist on the chronically ill and disabled so we are seen as burdens or that we could try harder.

Even the London paralympics was used to showcase how brilliant people with disabilities can be - if only they try.

No - they can't predict how people vote - but that might just as well be because they targeted specific groups rather than a representative sample in order to get the response they wanted in the hopes the poll results might, ultimately, influence the outcome.

Alvin2

Errrrr.... Science and Media Centre?

Sorry @Alvin2 but I'm afraid in the UK when it comes to the sick and disabled that's exactly what they do. Over the past at least 5 years, and probably more, they have been very carefully using language that puts an negative twist on the chronically ill and disabled so we are seen as burdens or that we could try harder.

Even the London paralympics was used to showcase how brilliant people with disabilities can be - if only they try.

No - they can't predict how people vote - but that might just as well be because they targeted specific groups rather than a representative sample in order to get the response they wanted in the hopes the poll results might, ultimately, influence the outcome.
What i am hinting at is if one made the news and dies on national TV because the government easily had the power but failed to prevent it that would make a much larger impact on public opinion then dying hidden and forgotten

Invisible Woman

What i am hinting at is if one made the news and dies on national TV because the government easily had the power but failed to prevent it that would make a much larger impact on public opinion then dying hidden and forgotten

The public know. Around the time ATOS cleared off they actually showed news clips with the slogans ATOS kills etc. etc.

Every now and then we have another brief story about how some poor vulnerable sod has died a miserable and lonely death having been found fit for work and sanctioned.

However, as the deliberate narrative tone of the past years has been that disabled and chronically ill are scroungers, this is what the public sees.

I have even seen a documentary on disablism - most people don't even know what that means. They might be horrified by discrimination by race, sex, or whatever, but disablism is ok. I fear it has become a cultural thing.

Alvin2

The public know. Around the time ATOS cleared off they actually showed news clips with the slogans ATOS kills etc. etc.

Every now and then we have another brief story about how some poor vulnerable sod has died a miserable and lonely death having been found fit for work and sanctioned.

However, as the deliberate narrative tone of the past years has been that disabled and chronically ill are scroungers, this is what the public sees.

I have even seen a documentary on disablism - most people don't even know what that means. They might be horrified by discrimination by race, sex, or whatever, but disablism is ok. I fear it has become a cultural thing.
So we can either accept defeat or find a way to fight for success. I choose the latter.

Alvin2

The beatings will continue until morale improves.
For a long time this was my desktop wallpaper
2648500033_81ffd22fcb_b.jpg