• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dining for Dollars for CII - A Fund Raising Idea

JohnnyD

Hello All,

This fund raising idea was the result of discussion and encouragement found here:
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...-for-lipkins-monster-study.46526/#post-764950

My sister (the PwME) and I held a “Dining for Dollars for CII” dinner this weekend and we encourage others to use this idea to support the CFS/ME researchers of your choice. I’ll copy in the email I used to solicit my friends and attach a .pdf flyer that we also attached to the email. Both explain the idea in more detail. And a picture of our dinner. It’s something your healthy friends and family can do for you. We hope to start a movement. :)

Here are the Stats:

8 diners. 1 could not attend, but donated. My sister could not attend as she retires for the day at 5pm, but made the beans and of course donated.

$1,450. The amounted donated.

Menu: Smoked Brisket with spicy bbq sauce, pinto beans, southwestern coleslaw, chiles rellenos, red and green enchiladas, homemade vanilla and chocolate sauce for dessert. I also served cocktails beforehand.

Jen Brea’s TED Talk makes a powerful marketing tool and it gives one an opportunity to educate folks about ME.

Best,
John
——————————

Sample email:

Subject: Dining for Dollars for CII (Center for Infection and Immunity)

Dear Friends,

My sister Susan and I am holding a fundraiser for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (also known as Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) this Sunday, February 12, at 6pm. “Dining for Dollars” is a fund rising idea from the AIDS era and we plan on using the dinner to spread the idea to others by posting some pictures and a blurb on several of the largest patient advocacy forums.

Government research dollars for this devastating disease are few and far between and there are now a number of private research groups making progress on this disease. We like Ian Lipkin and Mady Hornig’s project at the Center for Infection and Immunity at Columbia University. Lipkin’s and Hornig’s work on mapping the micro-biome has relevance for many other diseases as well. Please see the attached flyer…. some of the links I’ll repeat in this post.

We are suggesting $50 per person, made directly to http://microbediscovery.org Columbia will send you a tax deductible letter in return. Additional information about the project is on the site.

ME/CFS has a strong advocate in Jennifer Brea. Please take a moment to view her recent TED Talk.
https://www.ted.com/talks/jen_brea_what_happens_when_you_have_a_disease_doctors_can_t_diagnose

Jennifer has also produced a documentary called “Unrest” on the disease which won much praise and an award at the Sundance Film Festival. Theatrical viewing should be late summer or early fall and PBS has picked up distribution for viewing in early 2018 on their series “Independent Lens”.

Won’t you join me for dinner on the 12th?

Thank you,
John

Attachments

• CII Fundraiser.pdf
    221.5 KB · Views: 14
  • diningfordollars.jpg
    diningfordollars.jpg
    224.7 KB · Views: 20