Invisible Illness Awareness Week 2016: Our Voices Need to Be Heard
Never heard of Invisible Illness Awareness Week? You're not alone. Jody Smith sheds a little light to make it more visible
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Development of a recumbent isometric yoga program for patients with severe CFS/ME: A pilot study

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by AndyPR, Mar 12, 2017.

1. AndyPR

AndyPR Senior Member

Not a recommendation by me. It's published in BioPsychoSocial Medicine - The official journal of the Japanese Society of Psychosomatic Medicine, which says enough really.

Full paper available at http://bpsmedicine.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s13030-017-0090-z

2. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Two groups of six, no control, subjective outcome measures, short term.

:meh:

cgstar4, Solstice, Laelia and 8 others like this.
  3. NL93

NL93 Senior Member

The Netherlands
    Hahaha! Yoga! A "feasible and acceptable treatment for patients with ME/cfs". A TREATMENT!
    These people are seriously nuts and will look like complete fools once we have an objective diagnostic that will show yoga is not treating anything or even makes the disease worse if patients (this study is about the severely ill!) overexert themselves.

cgstar4, Solstice, Cohen2 and 9 others like this.
  4. trishrhymes

trishrhymes Senior Member

i have been wondering about developing for myself a simple program of recumbent isometric exercises to try particularly to strengthen my legs since a recent fall when i fractured my shoulder. my plan is to do the exercises in 1 to 2 minute sessions building gradually up to several times a day, using heart rate to help keep me below PEM threshold.

i think asking seriously effected ME sufferers to do 20 minute sessions is mad - it would certainly set off PEM for me, even if done lying down, unless they include a lot of rest breaks.

any study that uses the Chalder scale is rubbish in my opinion, since the whole premise and design of the scale is completely flawed.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  5. Joh

Joh Inactivist

Germany
    Haha, yoga "intervention"!

I agree, they don't seem to know what "severe CFS/ME" looks like. They met at a clinic, the yoga instructors didn't even make home visits. Doubt that a severely affected patient could come to a clinic at all every 2-4 weeks and on top of that do yoga for 20-30 minutes (info from long version).

Had a routine of light yoga for years and it didn't prevent me from deteriorating and becoming (mostly) bed-bound. Would love to be able to start the day with a "sun salute" again. Here's hoping for a bio-medical "intervention"! :)

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
    mango, Solstice, Dolphin and 7 others like this.
  6. sdmcvicar

sdmcvicar

The goal is worthy: development of an excercise program which CFS/ME patients can do to generate some of the benefits of exercise and minimize deconditioning without aggravating symptoms. Are they there yet? Probably not. It was worth trying and reporting the results, though.

With regards to the "severe" classification, I'd take it with a grain of salt since to the best of my knowledge there's no official definition of severe. Also, this is coming out of Japan, meaning it has likely been through a translator and their terminology may be subtly different. To some of us severe means only the population group that is bedbound. For others, it means those who can't reliably perform daily activities of living, which is a much larger group of PWME.

I think this was a sensible approach to minimize POTS, impact and anaerobic activity in a workout while focusing on strengthening the body. The conclusion overreaches a bit, but that is quite common in most published research. I'd be interested in seeing a follow-on to this with an expanded trial with appropriate controls.

Hutan and AndyPR like this.

See more popular forum discussions.