• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Detection of XMRV in Blood Cells of Sjgren's Syndrome Patients

Deatheye

I got sicca syndrom, my mother too. I also was thinking about if this is kinda the mild form of sjorgen syndrom. I can't wear lenses for my eye proplems cause my eyes get too dry and the lense starts to crystalize and the cristals start to grow into to eye. Gets very problematic to even remove them again. I'm also used to drink something while eating and put lot of sauce and dressing stuff on the food cause my mouth get too dry.
Got suspicion diagnosis of neurasthenia, CFS. But nothing clear yet. Low CH50 jumping around values of leukozytes (to low, to high and everything in between). Getting tests done for SLE. Sympthoms would fit perfectly... even some wierd stuff like I totally forgott why I'm not much at the sun... got problems with it since around 7 and totally forgott over the time why I'm avoiding the sun... lol

Tony Mach

Show me the evidence.
I found this through a search on the Department of Human Health and Human Services website. Unfortunately there's not much more than the title... sorry if it got anyone's hopes up or something.

440. Catherine W Cai
Detection of Xenotropic Murine Leukemia Virus-Related Virus (XMRV) in Blood Cells of Sjgren's Syndrome Patients
Emory University
Hometown: Atlanta, GA
Dr. Gabor Illei, Preceptor
Molecular Physiology and Therapeutics Branch

They are poster presentations from students (I think?).

https://www.training.nih.gov/assets/Summer_Poster_Day_Program_2011.pdf

I asked Gabor Illei about his research that was his response:
We have done some preliminary studies trying to detect XMRV in DNA derived from peripheral blood of patients with Sjogren's syndrome and controls. We used PCR only and did all the experiments in house. The study cited on several internet sites was a presentation of a work in progress at an NIH event. Since then we have done some additional control experiments and now we believe that the findings were due to contamination. I am not aware of any other group looking at XMRV in Sjogren's.
I hope this helps,
Best regards,
Gabor Illei

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/showthread.php?15594-No-XMRV-in-Sjgren-s-patients

currer

Tony, I see you put your location as being in Germany.

I would really like to know what the situation for ME sufferers is like in Europe, and I have very little up to date information about this.

Can you tell us what treatment options are for ME in Germany? What is it like being a sufferer there? Is ME accepted or recognised? Who are the best doctors in your opinion?