• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

DePaul/Jason: The impact of symptom stability on time frame and recall reliability in CFS

mango

The impact of symptom stability on time frame and recall reliability in CFS.

Evans M1, Jason LA1.
1DePaul University.

Cogent Psychol.
2015;2(1). pii: 1079945. Epub 2015 Aug 28.
DOI: 10.1080/23311908.2015.1079945

Abstract

OBJECTIVE:
This study is an investigation of the potential impact of perceived symptom stability on the recall reliability of symptom severity and frequency as reported by individuals with chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS). Symptoms were recalled using three different recall timeframes (the past week, the past month, and the past six months) and at two assessment points (with one week in between each assessment).

METHODS:
Participants were 51 adults (45 women and 6 men), between the ages of 29 and 66 with a current diagnosis of CFS. Multilevel Model (MLM) Analyses were used to determine the optimal recall timeframe (in terms of test-retest reliability) for reporting symptoms perceived as variable and as stable over time.

RESULTS:
Headaches were recalled more reliably when they were reported as stable over time. Furthermore, the optimal timeframe in terms of test-retest reliability for stable symptoms was highly uniform, such that all Fukuda1 CFS symptoms were more reliably recalled at the six month timeframe. Furthermore, the optimal timeframe for CFS symptoms perceived as variable, differed across symptoms.

DISCUSSION:
Symptom stability and recall timeframe are important to consider in order to improve the accuracy and reliability of the current methods for diagnosing this illness.

KEYWORDS: Assessment; Chronic Fatigue Syndrome; Recall Reliability; Symptom Stability

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4831646/pdf/nihms774522.pdf
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27088114

barbc56

It might be me, but I don't get this. If some of us have cognitive fog wouldn't that be a factor in recall and do they consider this if you read the complete study?

DePaul usually comes out with some good studiee. Unfortunately, not all the time.

But, I haven't a clue if this study might be helpful in a clinical setting!

RogerBlack

On skimming the paper, it seems a reasonable attempt to try to work out how well people can recall past symptoms.
This is very obviously important if you're going and asking someone at their 12 month followup a list of questions about the last 6 months that many of them will have forgotten half of that period.

Short-term variability in the condition is rapidly forgotten.
Study design with people being asked about their history should at least try to take this into account.