• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Defective T-cell control of EBV infection in multiple sclerosis

pattismith

Defective T-cell control of Epstein–Barr virus infection in multiple sclerosis

Published online 20 January 2017

Michael P Pender, Peter A Csurhes, Jacqueline M Burrows and Scott R Burrows

Abstract

Mounting evidence indicates that infection with Epstein–Barr virus (EBV) has a major role in the pathogenesis of multiple sclerosis (MS).

Defective elimination of EBV-infected B cells by CD8+ T cells might cause MS by allowing EBV-infected autoreactive B cells to accumulate in the brain.

Here we undertake a comprehensive analysis of the T-cell response to EBV in MS, using flow cytometry and intracellular IFN-γ staining to measure T-cell responses to EBV-infected autologous lymphoblastoid cell lines and pools of human leukocyte antigen (HLA)-class-I-restricted peptides from EBV lytic or latent proteins and cytomegalovirus (CMV), in 95 patients and 56 EBV-seropositive healthy subjects. In 20 HLA-A2+ healthy subjects and 20 HLA-A2+ patients we also analysed CD8+ T cells specific for individual peptides, measured by binding to HLA-peptide complexes and production of IFN-γ, TNF-α and IL-2.

We found a decreased CD8+ T-cell response to EBV lytic, but not CMV lytic, antigens at the onset of MS and at all subsequent disease stages.

CD8+ T cells directed against EBV latent antigens were increased but had reduced cytokine polyfunctionality indicating T-cell exhaustion.

During attacks the EBV-specific CD4+ and CD8+ T-cell populations expanded, with increased functionality of latent-specific CD8+ T cells.

With increasing disease duration, EBV-specific CD4+ and CD8+ T cells progressively declined, consistent with T-cell exhaustion.

The anti-EBNA1 IgG titre correlated inversely with the EBV-specific CD8+ T-cell frequency.

We postulate that defective CD8+ T-cell control of EBV reactivation leads to an expanded population of latently infected cells, including autoreactive B cells.

Tammy

Mounting evidence indicates that infection with Epstein–Barr virus (EBV) has a major role in the pathogenesis of multiple sclerosis (MS).
I agree................and that's why there are so MANY overlapping symptoms of CFS and MS. With some cases of aggressive MS, I believe it's because of a more aggressive strain of EBV.

ljimbo423

To investigate the relationship between the EBV DNA load in the blood and the EBV-specific T-cell response, we employed real-time PCR with primers and probe directed towards a conserved portion of the BamH1W segment of the EBV genome36 in DNA extracted from the same PBMC sample used to study the T-cell response in 24 of the healthy EBV-seropositive subjects and 50 of the MS patients. The median EBV DNA copy number in the PBMC in the patients (2μg−1 of DNA) did not differ significantly from that in the healthy controls (2.5μg−1 of DNA) (P=0.564) (Figure 6a), consistent with most previous studies.2 In the patients with MS the EBV load increased as the LCL-specific CD8+ T-cell frequency decreased (Figure 6b), although the correlation did not reach statistical significance (r=−0.19, P=0.148)

I think this study shows immune system dysfunction causing high EBV titers, not increased viral load. The PCR testing for viral load is not "statistically significant".

Jim

Last edited: