• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dealing with shame

belize44

Yes, thanks for that hug! And I agree about becoming more compassionate; I was always in a big tearing hurry and would get impatient with the person in front of me in traffic, in the check out line in the grocery store, etc. Now when someone is slow, I wonder if maybe they aren't feeling well, or in pain.

Marigold7

I was thinking in the night; yes re American pressures on people. Yes re the modern psych social mores. And yes also that the word I grew up and was shaped by was a very different one. Harder physically as we walked everywhere, played running and jumping games for hours outside. .I trained in classical ballet to Advanced RAD and continued well into adulthood so was used to gritting my teeth and going on in pain. We had more time and less pressure to earn and keep up with others. In my early years food was still rationed so eg chocolate is still a great treat.
And I am grateful that I was so ill treated by drs that I abandoned THAT ship. Had I stayed, I would be dead by now from far too much meds. In the US you go for more checks and tests than we ever did. More reliant on drs?
If life is a rat race then I have abandoned ship; mixed metaphor is that I suspect! I live alone and meet the world only at its needs and mine. If someone asks me to jump? I yawn and ignore them.