• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

David Tuller: Unlocking the ME/CFS Puzzle

Firestormm

Berkeley Wellness University of California
Be Well

Unlocking the ME/CFS Puzzle
by David Tuller, Dr.ph. | June 16, 2014

Patients with chronic fatigue syndrome appear to be suffering from widespread inflammation of the brain, according to a new study from Japan that has caught the attention of patients with the illness and the scientists seeking to unlock its puzzles. Moreover, the study, published in the Journal of Nuclear Medicine, found that severity of symptoms was correlated with the degree of inflammation seen in PET scans.

The study was small—only nine patients and ten healthy controls—so the findings would need to be replicated in much larger samples before they could be considered confirmed or proven. But it is believed to be the first study to show direct evidence for “neuroinflammation” in people with the illness, the authors reported.

The findings suggest that the more scientific name for the illness—“myalgic encephalomyelitis” or “inflammation of the brain and spinal cord with muscle pain”—is a more accurate description than chronic fatigue syndrome. (The illness is most frequently referred to these days as ME/CFS; patients despise the name chronic fatigue syndrome and understandably perceive it as dismissive and condescending.)

Read more: http://www.berkeleywellness.com/self-care/preventive-care/article/unlocking-mecfs-puzzle?ap=403

ahmo

The findings suggest that the more scientific name for the illness—“myalgic encephalomyelitis” or “inflammation of the brain and spinal cord with muscle pain”—is a more accurate description than chronic fatigue syndrome. (The illness is most frequently referred to these days as ME/CFS; patients despise the name chronic fatigue syndrome and understandably perceive it as dismissive and condescending.)

:rolleyes: Makes me think of the Spike Milligan line about having a sign on his casket reading, "I told you I was sick!"

I recently posted about my experience on a thread about Jacob Teitelbaum. The assumption that I needed more energy to overcome my *fatigue* was disastrous for me.

alex3619

Its very clear fatigue is not our problem. Some kind of post-exertional energy deficit is. This is probably due to an immune process. The Japanese research is quite old now, in modern terms, but its finally becoming recognized.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Another great find, @Firestormm!

Let's click through to give him the traffic and 'Like' his article if we can (I think it's a Facebook thing).

This is David Tuller, who has written some great stuff about ME.