• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Daniels: A Novel Approach to Treating CFS and Co-morbid Health Anxiety: A Case Study

worldbackwards

The damn shame of it is CBT probably can help some CFS people with their anxiety and sleep. And indeed in some people reducing those may help their symptoms as it's removing a large stress.

But, with CBT aiming at a complete cure - no.
Depends on what sort of CBT is used. If used for adaptation to their illness, sure, but if the aim is to make people think that there is nothing wrong with them, I can't see it doing anything other than damage.

AndyPR

I can't believe that some PR members actually "liked" this article.
To be fair, I may like something that is posted not because I agree with what is being said but because I appreciate the effort of the person who posted it, and my guess would be that is why some people have liked the post. As much as we'd like to see only good research out there, it useful to see what rubbish is out there as well.

Jan

To be fair, I may like something that is posted not because I agree with what is being said but because I appreciate the effort of the person who posted it, and my guess would be that is why some people have liked the post. As much as we'd like to see only good research out there, it useful to see what rubbish is out there as well.

A dislike button is needed, or an angry button.

mango

I, too, often 'like' posts and comments for the same reason. And I agree, it can be very useful to be aware of the rubbish.

RogerBlack

I, too, often 'like' posts and comments for the same reason. And I agree, it can be very useful to be aware of the rubbish.
Vital, indeed.
Being able to rapidly and easily respond with a reasoned critique of a paper cited in support of something by quickly skimming a thread, rather than slogging (possibly again) through a paper can be very useful if it's raised in support of something later.