• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Crawley: Natural course of CFS/ME in adolescents

Why does the title refer to cfs/ me when it is clear frm the abstract that no selection for this has been made ???
This is their "hat trick." It is very unethical and you'd think an editor would catch the absurdist logic in it :

"I'm not studying ME–
except when I say I am,
but really I'm not, so you can't criticize my study design,
–but fund me cause it's close enough."

It's bizarre a person can morally advance such an argument (not much of a poem either) considering the danger it puts the two different groups in. Especially as things on medscape have real world implications for treatment.

It's a safe bet most physicians get new knowledge through sources like that rather than thumbing through medical journals.

Hard to resist quoting this:

“When I use a word,” Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, “it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less.” “The question is,” said Alice, “whether you can make words mean so many different things.” “The question is,” said Humpty Dumpty, “which is to be master—that's all.”

anni66

mum to ME daughter
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but how can she get away with entitling the study 'the Natural Course of CFS/ME in Adolescents, but later confirms that the term 'chronic disabling fatigue' is better suited as 'CFS/ME' was not verified by clinical diagnosis.

It's either about CFS/ME patients or it's not. You can't have a mixed bag and then claim 75% of adolescents recover after 2-3 years. I'm not disputing that the rate of recovery for adolescents is far better than for adults, but yet again another poorly designed longitudinal study does not support this yet.

I'm utterly embarrassed to live in the UK when this BPS nonsense is being published.
@charles shepherd - where is MEA on this.

This reinforces and perpetuates the sad situation we have with adolescents and , by publishing in MEDSCAPE has more potential to lead to harm.

Could a debunking statement/ comment be issued pointing out that this has no relevance for ME patients?