• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Coyne: taking Wessely's manipulative ways out of the shadows..........

Dx Revision Watch

Suzy Chapman Owner of Dx Revision Watch
"Critics need to be protected from bullying...."

Hold that thought.

"There is international consensus that the usefulness of data sharing will be seriously compromised if those of us who request data are screened for whether the original authors think we have been naughty or nice..."

Coyne thinks I have been naughty, so I don't get my text correctly attributed to me despite five requests.

I won't say any more, but this is rank hypocrisy.

Last edited:

Esther12

Personally, I'd prefer to focus more on making the most of any potential for useful advocacy, or understand new arguments, information and points of view. But also, I think it's perfectly understandable for Suzy to be pissed about her work not being attributed and to draw people's attention to that. Different people focus on different things and a strength of place like PR is that there is a good range of perspectives clashing.

To some extent, I just take it as a given that Coyne does some weird and annoying things. That's just the way it is and I don't think this is as important as many, many other things around ME advocacy. But then, it hasn't affected me as an individual, and people do tend to take these sorts of things personally (Coyne certainly seems to!).

My priority is trying to ensure there's less quackery around ME/CFS, and Coyne does make some useful points about this, from a position where he might be better placed to influence those with power than many other advocates. He's also done some hugely unreasonable and unhelpful things. There are a range of really legitimate responses to this imo.

It is complicated when these sort of things get personal. I have loads of respect for Suzy's advocacy work and hope she doesn't see my interest in Coyne's work, or hope that it will be useful, as some sort of dismissal of her concerns.

Seven7

Seven
In one hand the reputation of the poor people which manipulated the data in the first place. What 15plp?
In the other hand millions of plp being affected and being in some cases made permanently disable, locked up and made worst.

A very balanced hand!