• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Could I have Babesia?

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
I've not heard of babesia causing nose and sinus problems. My sensitivities though, which babesia might factor into, can cause me a fair bit of nasal congestion.

Frontal sinusitis can, as it causes bad frontal headaches across the forehead. I don't get the typical runny nose like a cold but just post nasal drip, which is that urge to keep clearing your throat .

Just something to consider as chronic sinusitis can be quite disabling with headaches and fatigue etc, even in people without cfs.

Daffodil

thanks, all, I did order enula but I decided to return it and try to buy Coartem from the US. it is just too expensive to try different herbals for me at this point. Does anyone know if Coartem is expensive? Sadly, it is not available in Canada so will have to pay out of pocket...
Thanks
xoxox

Daffodil

@heapsreal wow. well, I have had head MRI's a couple of times over the years, and every time, the report says, "evidence of sinusitis" but no one has been able to figure out why, including multiple ENT's. my nasal passages are closed up-feeling, I assume from the inflammation. its been that way for years and years now. I wonder if that is babesia related?

heapsreal

@heapsreal wow. well, I have had head MRI's a couple of times over the years, and every time, the report says, "evidence of sinusitis" but no one has been able to figure out why, including multiple ENT's. my nasal passages are closed up-feeling, I assume from the inflammation. its been that way for years and years now. I wonder if that is babesia related?

Staph bacteria can be hard to treat and in chronic sinusitis cases can infect the boney areas. Of late I've been having better success with oral abx combined with an abx spray of bactroban. I usually only do say 2 weeks worth of the spray and then stop it but read recently about some that said their dr recommends too keep using the abx spray from 6 to 12 weeks for severe chronic sinusitis .

So im not really sure its babesia causing this or some staph infection ?

Oh i also usea colloidal silver spray in between abx spray as its suppose to help dissolve biofilms etc.

Hanna

Coartem costed me about 50 euros a 3 day course(24 units). My LLMD prescribed me 3 courses one after the other (with one day off, in between) --> 150 euros per treatment. In Europe it is called RIAMET, not Coartem.

There is a thread "the undetectable infection" that may give you some additionnal information about treating recurrent strep. like xylitol products (in nose/mouth).
You may use also sterilised sea water spray (ex : STERIMAR from France) for help. it is very gentle, no cure but some help.

xrunner

I wonder if that is babesia related?
I had that same problem (chronic sinus inflammation) and it's more likely a staph infection because I picked it up in hospital during my father's stay.
He had a staph highly resistant infection to abx, which got during heart surgery causing him sepsis, severe pneumonia, kidney problems etc.

Daffodil

I had that same problem (chronic sinus inflammation) and it's more likely a staph infection because I picked it up in hospital during my father's stay.
He had a staph highly resistant infection to abx, which got during heart surgery causing him sepsis, severe pneumonia, kidney problems etc.
hi xrunner. that sounds awful. did your sinuses return to normal after treatment?
i had my sinuses swabbed once in NYC long ago and it was all negative but who knows.
xo

Research 1st

Severe ME, POTS & MCAS.
I don't know if this adds to the conversation, but the FISH test for Babesia some labs offer commercially, although useful (if searching for various methods of Babesia detection such as serology, PCR etc) is not a guarantee you don't have the infection, if the FISH method is negative.

Perhaps in these circumstances, trying something other than blood tests can be considered, such as microscopy performed by an expert microscopist who might find Babesia parasites.

heapsreal

hi xrunner. that sounds awful. did your sinuses return to normal after treatment?
i had my sinuses swabbed once in NYC long ago and it was all negative but who knows.
xo

I think its almost impossible to swab frontal sinuses without doing some surgical procedure .

My dr has said that whats found in a swab of the nostrils can be different to whats in the sinuses??

Some abx can treat babesia and staph sinusitis like bactrim .

Daffodil

@Research 1st ..thanks for the reply. i actually tested negative to the FISH test already, but am SOOO sick right now, with head and neck pressure so great, i wish i could get my hands on some coartem!

RML

Hi @Daffodil , do you get air hunger or sob? or very severe sharp stabbing pain in chest (between ribs, intercostal muscles I think) anytime you breathe in? I think there is a proper term for that stabbing chest pain but can't think of it right now since it is 3am here and can't sleep :(

Well, for me the breathing problems were my worst Babesia symptom, as well as the hot sweats.

it is so hard to treat things and get better, when you can't depend or know for sure if testing is reliable. Especially if an unknown or undetected infection is the key or what is holding you back from moving forward.

Horowitz has some great informative talks and slideshows about Babesia. Check them out and see if it helps you work out if Babesia might be an issue for you.

Daffodil

Hi @Daffodil , do you get air hunger or sob? or very severe sharp stabbing pain in chest (between ribs, intercostal muscles I think) anytime you breathe in? I think there is a proper term for that stabbing chest pain but can't think of it right now since it is 3am here and can't sleep :(

Well, for me the breathing problems were my worst Babesia symptom, as well as the hot sweats.

it is so hard to treat things and get better, when you can't depend or know for sure if testing is reliable. Especially if an unknown or undetected infection is the key or what is holding you back from moving forward.

Horowitz has some great informative talks and slideshows about Babesia. Check them out and see if it helps you work out if Babesia might be an issue for you.
thanks RML. I had air hunger when I was at my worst a few years ago but it was relived by HIV meds - go figure.

are you improved after treating babesia?

RML

the babesia symptoms are improved, recent testing now says negative. Lyme is still going strong though. But I think I am now finally turning a corner with Cowden protocol, tolerating it now and increasing drops to 20 now. My physical energy and general ability hugely improved the month of December. But neuro stuff still really bad, my Lyme rage is getting scary and intolerable level now. Emotional stress is bad too. Really need to work on those issues badly now. But lifting the fatigue is a godsend and really glad for it. 1 month being good and tolerating the herbs is too soon to say I guess (especially as first 4/5 months on herbs were dire) But I am looking forward to coming year and hopeful I can continue increasing up to the 30 drops.

Art Vandelay

Costochonditis?

Charles555nc

Frontal sinusitis can, as it causes bad frontal headaches across the forehead. I don't get the typical runny nose like a cold but just post nasal drip, which is that urge to keep clearing your throat .

Just something to consider as chronic sinusitis can be quite disabling with headaches and fatigue etc, even in people without cfs.

My last doctor lead me along for awhile before suggesting I get checked for Marcon's. She wanted 1250 in tests to get approved for an 80$ bottle of treatment. Apparently it can cause alot of symptoms and make some people more treatment resistant. I just made my own bottle of stuff and snort it a couple times a day. Seems to help so far.

http://goodbyelyme.com/free_articles/biofilm/marcons

heapsreal

My last doctor lead me along for awhile before suggesting I get checked for Marcon's. She wanted 1250 in tests to get approved for an 80$ bottle of treatment. Apparently it can cause alot of symptoms and make some people more treatment resistant. I just made my own bottle of stuff and snort it a couple times a day. Seems to help so far.

http://goodbyelyme.com/free_articles/biofilm/marcons

Something ive thought about and by my own personal experience with treating sinusitis , Now i alternate abx every course or two. Initially i was worried about abx resistance etc. Chatting with my dr who has done some research in this area, basically in my layman's terms , some abx that have stopped working can be used again and become effective . Basically its more to do with the change in bacterial environment than with abx resistance .

The 3 main abx i use are doxycycline , augmentin and bactrim that individually have all worked at some stage. Occassionally i have combined 2abx together. I only add doxy to bactrim or augmentin . I guess I dont want to add bactrim and augmentin together as they are my top 2 abx and if they both stop working im buggered.

I have been using the bactroban spray but noticed post nasal drip starting and sinus headaches , i was also on doxycycline . I stopped both spray and doxy while adding augmentin and this seems to have sorted it for now.

I do need to buy more colloidal silver spray as i find it helps and read it can help with biofilms . Currently taking a break from bactroban spray and will add it again later. I feel its helped reduced the severity. But as soon a sinus symptoms start to appear i change this around.

I dont know if the explanation is correct but it works for me. Although abx probably occurs at some level, it may be due to other issues I've mentioned.

More substances to break down biofilms the bettwr i guess??