• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Copper malabsorption

Lou

I've read that for those of us with copper deficiencies that a polymorphism of the gene for a protein, Ctr 1, which is responsible for uptake of cu in the intestines, may be key. To bypass this problem am wondering aloud if taking a daily dose of liquid copper and holding-sloshing it around in the soft tissues of the mouth might not help overcome this problem. An alternate method would be to chew up a caplet of cu and hold it in the mouth for extended period.

Any thoughts, comments? Thanks.

triffid113

Day of the Square Peg
I don't think much of this idea. In fact I tried it and it caused me to get a yeast infection...felt like thrush. Copper is a poison and it will kill your intestinal flora and fauna. idk why it does not in a pill form. Or at least it has not given me thrush this way.

How do you know you are low copper? I have had several hair analysees at traceelements.com which have shown I have low copper. I am attempting to take 5mg Cu/day but I cannot take it with zinc or calcium supplements or it is not absorbed so I often miss taking it (don't want to take it at night - I think it might keep me awake). I cannot stop taking zinc or I get new allergies I have never had before. During allergy season I find I have to take 75mg of zinc / day or I cannot breath or function. Flonase stopped working for me when I turned 50.

I believe it is unusual for anyone under 45 or so to be low in copper...I was replete at age 45 and not borderline low until age 50. It is because estrogen helps one absorb copper. I suspect the same is true for testosterone, at any rate it is rare for men to be low in copper...at least men under 65.

I decided 5mg of copper is a fine amount to aim for because of this paper: http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract?fromPage=online&aid=5154620

Triff