• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Consume sodium bicarbonate without exercise?

Mary

Moderator Resource
@SmokinJoeFraz93 - Here's an article about athletic performance and baking soda: https://breakingmuscle.com/healthy-eating/baking-soda-the-performance-supplement-you-are-missing

It talks about a decrease in Ph and metabolic acidosis as causes of fatigue and even mentions anaerobic glycolysis (sound familiar?) which increases acidity and how baking soda can help.

I have taken baking soda (1/4 to 1/2 tsp.) on occasion when I've been extra achy (though not crashed) and it seems to help with those aches and fatigue. But it doesn't seem to do anything for when I am crashed and aches.

So I think it's worth giving it a shot for general achiness, even if one's lactate levels are not high.

rosie26

I've thought about taking baking soda daily many times but every time I am put off by any long term harm that may occur. I mentioned it once to my GP and he gave me a thumbs down on it with his facial expression. Hah. And I instinctively agreed with him but didn't say.

The only time I take baking soda is when I have indigestion which is not very often. It works very well for me on those occasions. I remember my grandmother mixing baking soda in milk for the same reason. I do the same as my grandmother, mix in a bit of milk. I don't mind the taste.

Last edited:

alex3619

I’m one of many with CFS that is completely exercise intolerant, and my body is full of lactic acid, from my head down to my feet.

I’ve come across a post that explains the mechanisms sodium bicarbonate and how it acts as a buffer to reduce lactic acid.

Is it possible to take this supplement without exercising? Obviously I’m unable to exercise, but my entire body is riddled with lactic acid.

Thanks.
What test confirms this? Lactic acid sensations can have other causes. Its important to be sure, especially since there is data showing we have low acidity at rest ... too low.

The same line of research (UK muscle research) shows that we may benefit from lowering acidity during and post activity. Note that it is not clear what lactic acid is doing in more severe patients, they were not studied and under some interpretations it can be hypothesized they will have high lactic acid all the time.

Of course everyone is different. No matter the theory your response might be different.

(edit - fixed a sentence glitch)

Last edited:
I dont see how one could test it since hte body is always trying to maintain a PH balance in the blood in a very narrow range.

SmokinJoeFraz93

What test confirms this? Lactic acid sensations can have other causes. Its important to be sure, especially since there is data showing we have low acidity at rest ... too low.

The same line of research (UK muscle research) shows that we may benefit from lowering acidity during and post activity. Note that it is not clear what lactic acid is doing in more severe patients, they were not studied and under some interpretations it can be hypothesized they will have high lactic acid all the time.

Of course everyone is different. No matter the theory your response might be different.

(edit - fixed a sentence glitch)

Well myself (like others) use the term 'lactic acid' when maybe it's not lactic acid. One thing I will say, no one can tell me how I'm feeling when my muscles are being used, and the 'feeling' feels like it's lactic acid. Whether it's something like low oxygen or something else, it doesn't take away the fact that my entire muscular system has no energy. Ziltch.

Valentijn

One thing I will say, no one can tell me how I'm feeling when my muscles are being used, and the 'feeling' feels like it's lactic acid.
It can be tested with a home lactate meter. Mine is periodically elevated, but not in relation to muscle burn, or even much in relation to recent exertion. But at the end of the day after much earlier exertion, it's abnormally elevated sometimes.

The symptom it seems to correspond with best is a poisoned/motion sickness queasy feeling. Then there's typically a headache the next day (lactate moved into spinal fluid and brain?), but blood levels are normal again at that point. It occurs maybe about midway between exertion and a crash, but not always with a crash following.

overtheedge

I read one of the posters earlier saying to avoid taking the bicarbonate near meals, I agree with that. if anyone starts to experience chronic constipation or IBS like symptoms that could be because of low stomach acid, I don't know how likely it is that taking sodium bicarbonate would cause prolonged low stomach acid but those symptoms I mentioned are what I had to deal with for years before I tried supplementing Betaine HCL with meals to raise stomach acid and that terrible constipation and pain went away in days. Admittedly though I may be wrong as I also started taking digestive enzymes with meals the same day as the betaine HCL so it may have been an enzyme problem. Just a heads up

I’m so sorry to hear that. Thank you for the reply.

I take D-Ribose & L-carnitine. I’m not seeing any improvements really. How much should I start off with the sodium bicarbonate?
have you tried Coenzyme Q10? D-Ribose, carnitine, and coq10 have really helped me. Anytime I read something about the mitochondria these three seem to pop up, magnesium pops up a lot too and adenosylcobalamin though I haven't tried that last one. About the ribose, I've been getting great results taking a small dose of it every thirty minutes, never got very much out of it when I took 5g's three times a day. The half life of ribose is something along the lines of 30-40 minutes which, I think, may be why it is working so well for me in small doses throughout the day. The doctors who advocate this dosing schedual that I am aware of are Dr. Sinatra and Dr. Myhill, I didn't come up with it.

I usually put 2.5g's in half a glass of water and drink a third that glass every thirty minutes and then repeat all throughout the day. Found this post the other day which interested me, reading that people take up to 60 grams of ribose daily I may try increasing my dosage. here's the post

http://www.hhhummingbirds.com/coq10-carnitine-mg

Ubiquinol has been shown to peak blood levels 6 hours after ingestion.

Thousands of patients have taken D-ribose at dosages up to 60 grams per day with minimal side effects.

We do know that M.E. has some similarities to Parkinson’s and can be a similarly disabling neurological disease and that (anecdotally) those with moderate – severe M.E. will most often need doses the same as those listed for Parkinson’s disease, in order to experience an improvement in quality of life. (1200 mg of ubiquinone daily is often quoted as a standard dosage for Parkinson’s patients.) The dosage of CoQ10 in M.E. can be guided by blood levels of CoQ10 or by raising the dose until the patient experiences significant improvement, or both. The maintenance dose of CoQ10 should then be adjusted downwards as much as possible, without losing the benefits. For patients that are severely affected the maintenance dose may need to stay the same as the initial dose, in order to prevent relapse. CoQ10 should be taken in 2 – 3 divided doses (with food). Do not take medium - large doses all at once.

Nutritionist Robert Crayhon explains that mitochondrial supports ‘should be combined with antioxidants to compensate for the increased production of free radicals that is a by-product of greater energy output. Older people especially need to take extra antioxidants to compensate for this.’ Lipoic acid is one of the most important antioxidants, along with vitamin E and vitamin C. CoQ10 is also an antioxidant. Dr Sinatra recommends that 50 -100 mg of lipoic acid (and also a daily multivitamin, extra vitamin C and fish oil) always be taken along with the ‘awesome foursome.’ He states that to help neutralise free radicals, nurture your mitochondria and delay aging, life-long supplementation with CoQ10, L carnitine, lipoic acid and vitamins C and E is essential.

Dr. Myhills recommendation is 300mg CoQ10 for several months then reducing to 100mg per day

I'm planning on judging it based on blood testing

Last edited: