• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Consulting a Rheumatologist - What tests to ask for to be done ?

raghav

What questions should I ask the rheumatologist ? How do I convince him that I have ME ? What tests should I insist on being done ? Your opinion and advice please. Thanks.

Gingergrrl

How do I convince him that I have ME ?

I probably have a different philosophy than most but I would not go to the appt trying to convince the doctor that you have ME. I would tell him all of your symptoms and see what direction he goes with testing so you can try to rule out if something else is going on (either a missed diagnosis or a co-occurring diagnosis) as many of us have multiple medical problems.

He will probably do standard autoimmune testing (ANA, inflammation, and basic autoantibodies) and if there are specific tests that you feel would be useful based on your symptoms, I would ask for those tests.