• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Congnitive Dysfunction

SmokinJoeFraz93

I've always had problems with stuff like OCD and insecurity problems whether it's in a relationship or just in general day-to-day life.

As I've grown older, I've learnt to just allow the anxiety or anxiety based emotions to come and go without any sense of judgement or struggle and strain to remove the emotion.

However, since having CFS and experiencing brain fog or congnitive dysfunction, my thinking process towards these subjects in particular cause me great distress and confusion when I try to rationally think, make sense or come to some sort of conclusion regarding feeling my anxieties and insecurities.

It's very hard to explain, but the best way I can explain it, is that I struggle to find clarity or think clearly when it comes to approaching such emotions.

Does anyone else experience this? If so, how do you deal with the dysfunctional thinking?

Manganus

However, since having CFS and experiencing brain fog or congnitive dysfunction, my thinking process towards these subjects in particular cause me great distress and confusion when I try to rationally think, make sense or come to some sort of conclusion regarding feeling my anxieties and insecurities.

It's very hard to explain, but the best way I can explain it, is that I struggle to find clarity or think clearly when it comes to approaching such emotions.

Does anyone else experience this? If so, how do you deal with the dysfunctional thinking?

I didn't start with stuff like Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder. (But maybe one could say that I started with an autism spectrum personality. That may be tolling on the mental energy, that too.) But I've ended at about the same place as you.

In my case anxiety is the problem. I do no longer have the mental stamina to become the master over my fears. I mean that kind of fears that have with illness, symptoms and possible sub-acute brain inflammation to do. The anxiety has a tendency to become the master over me instead.

I would need to break the vicious circle of anxiety, but it's quite demanding. And I must do more than only thinking. I must do things with my body, like raise or move or...

It's very ...strange. I've always been quite interested in psychology and psychiatry. But certain conditions have remained totally strange to me. ...like teenage girls (and gay youths) who cut in their own skin, I've never been able to understand them. Not the slightestly! I've been careful, not to work at those psychiatric stations, where that kind of youths are treated.

Now, I start to see, in myself, how also I might end up with some similar very drastic means, when I see no other posibility left, to master an attack of anxiety. Now, I start to develop what looks like an understanding even for that kind of patients. What a pity, I don't work anymore...

SmokinJoeFraz93

You know, it's funny how you mention autistic spectrum. I've delved into research regarding the autism personality traits. Since having CFS, I have seen a lot of traits in me.

But apparently, there's a mitochondria dysfunction in autism just like it is with CFS.

Silence

In the beginning of my illness I used to do a lot of mindfullness meditation or vippassana meditation. And after doing it for a while, the anxieties, panic, and all that mind chatter seemed to calm down a lot for me. But now, I am in the moderate to severe category of cfs/me and the neuroglogical symptoms are sometimes unbearable. Like you say, it feels as if Its impossible to be mindful of this stuff when my mind and body is in such a tangle and confusion, especially during a crash.

Its like that saying goes- Mind over Matter. Yeah, its true in a sense, but sometimes its Matter over mind.. or in my case- Brain dysfunction/inflammation over mind.

I just tell myself its just one of those days where the mind is pushing itself into a corner trying to find rationality in a irrational state of being. And do my best to rest both mind and body while being aware of the mind still chattering away and causing very strong physical emotions/sensations. Sometimes the best thing to do is learning to let go.

Not sure If that's what you meant.