• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Cold Urticaria allergy - triggered by infection

Hutan

Yesterday I read posts on PR about cold urticaria, an allergy to cold temperatures. It was the first I had heard of it.

Then today I heard an item on Australia's Radio National about cold urticaria.
http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/healthreport/allergic-to-the-cold/7554512
You can listen to the 8 minute item or read the transcript.

In sufferers, mast cells release histamines and other chemicals on exposure to cold. This can cause itchy hives and even full-on anaphylactic reactions. The mechanism is not well understood.

Cold urticaria can be inherited. But what I really found interesting was that ongoing cold urticaria can be triggered by an 'infection such as glandular fever or a bacterial stomach ulcer'. (Discussed around the 5 minute mark). It's the first time, I think, I have heard of an allergy being triggered by an infection.

Also, the item says that sometimes treating the underlying infection can eliminate the cold urticaria.

PeterPositive

I have suffered from that for years, now it's less bad but still present and worsens with cold, in fact I have zero problems during spring and summertime. And I did have an episode of glandular fever right before the onset of those symptoms :rolleyes:

Thanks for the link, I will read the transcript. Docs seems to know little to nothing about this, though.

thanks

Last edited:

valentinelynx

Hmm. My mother-in-law, who died 8 years ago at age 90, suffered from cold urticaria. She was a dyed-in-the-wool Yankee - never complain about anything being wrong with you. She claimed many times that she had never had a headache in her life! My point being, she was not a fatigued or chronically ill person, except for the oddity the cold urticaria. I don't recall when it started. I know she was a nurse in WWII, stationed in New Guinea (that's where my husband's parents met - he was in the Air Force - US Army Air Corps until 1941- and retired as a colonel. (He's still alive, at 98). Anyway, wonder if she got some strange infection along the line somewhere.