• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Coffee reduces depression risk

Waverunner

I know that coffee increases dopamine in the brain. I wouldn't be surprised if this has to do with a decreased depression risk.

Esther12

I wonder if there are confounding factors here.

eg: Maybe those with more active and pleasurable lives drink more coffee? Or maybe those who don't drink any coffee might be more likely to be socially isolated?

It could well be that coffee itself has some affect, but those are some of the sorts of factors that I'd like to see a study like this try to account for.

Nielk

Esther,

Don't ruin my fun. I'm so happy I have a good reason now to drink my coffee. Besides, it definitely helps with my headaches.

Esther12

Fun sounds like the best way of avoiding depression!

I've been off caffeine since getting ill - it makes me feel really buzzy and strange. Maybe I should give it another go - I always had a sense that feeling the strange was probably a bad sign. Maybe not though - as recreational drugs go, it's probably a pretty safe way of getting a high!

Nielk

I feel fine with it as long as I don't overdue it. I usually will have two cups a day. Like you said, it's nice to have something we enjoy for a change.

allyann

I've hardly had coffee since I've been pregnant due to heart palpitations. I miss it so much but at least I have broken the addiction cycle! When I used to work, every meeting with a client was over coffee. Five expressos a day would really get you buzzing :D

sandgroper

I have just restarted it after about 15 years off. The last 8 years i had tea and that seemed to help headaches. I am was hoping the caffeine would help with being upright and now I have to see if I can take it without payback. For years i avoided things like salt only to find that I need it to hold fluids, so what is one mans poison is some else's medicine...or so it would seem

Francelle

The most depressed people I've ever known (admittedly not too many) drank the most coffee I've ever seen anyone drink. They never let their cup/mug get empty while at the same time puffing on another relentless cigarette!

Perhaps my small anecdotal 'trial' amounts for zilch - lol!

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
coffee is too much caffeine at one go for me, but I find that tea does me good. a vasoconstrictor, it could help with OI. then again, it's also a diuretic, so could go the other way for some.

I never heard about seizures, but caffeine can either help or trigger a migraine (related, at least some kinds are)