• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

CMX001

Say what!!?!!!! 2017!!! (sad face)

Yes, and that's probably on fast-track as well, but I could be wrong.

I'm interested in antivirals myself but haven't had any tests done specifically for viruses, only bacterial infections which I'm treating with antibiotics.

Are there any specific clinical differences between viral CFS/ME and "non-viral", if there is indeed such a thing? In other words, any differences between those who had significant relief from symptoms by using antivirals as opposed to those who haven't used it because they test negative for known viruses?

Sasha

Fine, thank you

I'm interested in antivirals myself but haven't had any tests done specifically for viruses, only bacterial infections which I'm treating with antibiotics.

Are there any specific clinical differences between viral CFS/ME and "non-viral", if there is indeed such a thing? In other words, any differences between those who had significant relief from symptoms by using antivirals as opposed to those who haven't used it because they test negative for known viruses?

Sad face over here as well - hang on, this one's my favourite :ill: - but the FDA seems to be interested in getting new mechanisms in place for a fast-track - or unmet-needs track - or something-else track - that can actually cut through some of this slowness. I'm no expert on their procedures but maybe we can expect something sooner than 2017 with this drug.

Gypsy

You would definitely want to get tested for the specific viruses the drug would treat first. If there is no virus present, the drug will have no job to do. :)

It looks like CMX001 is being developed for CMV. Valcyte is only "approved" for CMV but is also prescribed for HHV6 and sometimes EBV. Hopefully this new drug will target all 3 with a minimal of side effects.....in 2017 (boo!)

Testing is highly subjective, what one doctor views as an active infection another may not.

Gypsy

?
Gypsy

There is a long list of viruses that CMX will target though the trials are for CMV.

Sushi

Really? But I would assume they are all in the herpes virus family? I would be incredible to have one drug target so many viruses.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
?

Really? But I would assume they are all in the herpes virus family? I would be incredible to have one drug target so many viruses.

You can find the list on the CMXoo1 research pages--there are lots of different sites, but that is where I saw the list.

Here is what I just found with a quick google:
CMX001’s potential to be a safe and efficacious broad-spectrum
antiviral for the treatment of double-stranded DNA viral infections,

Sushi

This very well could be the magic drug that [most of us] have been waiting for. A spokesman for the Drug manufacturer said their goal is to make it commercially available by 2016. Only 2 more years!

Why wait? If enough people are interested, it can be quite affordable to get private labs to synthesize new drugs. As long as it is for "research purposes" it is legal in the US, as patents cannot be issued until all trials are complete.