• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Chills after BM?

I often have pain after bowel movements (10-20 minutes of burning) even when they are completely normal, well-formed, etc. I have noticed that after particularly painful ones I feel very chilled and shaky and nauseous after them for about a half-hour (like a really brief flu).

I am currently retrying a strict elimination diet (again! for like the 4th or 5th time) to try to narrow down food sensitivities, which tends to make me even MORE sensitive to whatever is bothering me, but no conclusions yet (other than dairy, wheat, and soy all definitely out)

Wondering if anyone else has had these waves of chills after BMs and if they ever related it to something specific (yeast overgrowth, some kind of other pathogen, etc)

alex3619

These are food poisoning symptoms, which really means bacterial. I have had them before, though more intense (uncontrollable shaking for hours, projectile vomiting etc). The icy feeling I could only alleviate by sitting in a hot hot shower for half an hour. Something about the elimination diet might be inducing this. I could speculate but I don't know enough so I wont say any more just now. Bye, Alex

It has been going on and off for multiple years. It is one reason I am trying another elimination diet, but I don't think it is inducing it. Feel free to speculate all you want :) I also often have to get into a hot bath or shower afterwards to both ease pain and to "warm up" though if I don't, it will still go away on its own over about a 1/2 hour.

jeffrez

My guess is that it's totally neurological. Food poisoning is usually self-limiting, and will just run its course w/out continuing on like that for years. Some kind of meditation, or for a quicker fix, neurofeedback, would probably address that. The gut is highly sensitive to neurological changes - it's almost a nervous system unto itself, actually.

I don't think that it is food poisoning. I do think there is the possibility of some sort of pathogens being released during bowel movements or something else (I have heard similar complaints in people diagnosed with IBS or Crohn's). I have had a daily meditation practice for multiple years. I can't imagine EEG based neurofeedback helping, but maybe some sort of biofeedback if it relates to some sort of tension. Still I could see biofeedback approaches helping with a lot of symptoms of muscle tension, TMJ, chronic pain, etc before I see them helping with this which honestly seems to be related to something (happens after painful bowel movements, ONLY happens after bowel movements, etc)

alex3619

Food poisoning jsut means bacterial poisoning. It doesnt have to come from food. Bacterial translocation from the gut, or just lipopolysaccharide, might induce the same symptoms. Bye, Alex

jeffrez

Wouldn't be so quick to discount NF. I once had a reaction to NF that made me extremely nauseated as the day wore on, and ended up with complete "irritable GI" syndrome, as I called it, all night. Without going into TMI, let's just say it was a total purging from both ends, completely non-stop, complete with all kinds of shakiness, chills, etc. like you describe, until seemingly every last bit of everything was out of me. No fever or infection or anything - it was definitely triggered by the NF.

I was able to figure out it was from training I did on the right side, and sure enough, testing it again after that brought the nausea back, though I didn't train it enough to really bring it back in full force. An entrainment CD a practitioner made that trained SMR also triggered it one time, although again, not as severely, but just the nausea. There's no question the brain and gut are intimately linked.

Come to think of it, I also had severe hypoglycemia daily from NF that lasted for over a year, with that really godawful empty hollow gnawing feeling in the pit of the stomach - which interestingly, was resolved because of whatever happened b/c of the nausea/GI event. If I train on the right side in certain frequencies it can come back, though. So somehow it's all definitely linked.

svetoslav80

As far as I have self observed myself in the last years (I have 3 chronic disorders) , chills are always sign of inflammation (at least for me). But I can't tell what causes it for you.

Sparrow

Not sure if it's connected to your issues or not, but there could also be a blood pressure component if your blood volume is low. I always felt like crap (pardon the pun!) after using the bathroom because pushing action of a bowel movement can temporarily lower your blood pressure. Took me a little while to recover afterward. And chills, shakes, and nausea are definitely symptoms that came along with my periods of lowest blood volume.

Bowel issues are often linked to inflammation, and inflammation is often linked to autoimmune issues and all sorts of other problems, so it could certainly be triggering something unfortunate in your body. I wish I had more insight to give. Hope you figure out how to get some relief.

We will seem if an anti-inflammatory diet helps. I do have low blood volume and am quite POTS-y, but mainly connect that with tachycardia on standing up. Starting florinef soon. Maybe it will help with this as well?

MEG

First of all I hope this has resolved for you.

However, I am in agreement with Sparrow. I have a ton of inflammation and low BP and my doctor suspects low blood volume. That said...after I move my bowels, I am shaky, chilled and I become severely weak. I have to spend several hours in bed to recover. I have always suspected a vagal response. I have also been too embarrassed to mention it to my doc. Now that others have shared I will have the courage to talk to her about it!

I have to say, thanks for bringing this up!

Comes and goes, ebbs and flows, like everything. Past few days it has been very bad. Extreme burning after (otherwise normal) bowel movements, and chills, shaking, etc. Going full paleo seemed to help for awhile (or maybe it was just coincidence) but now is back. I will try cutting out tea next....

Let me know if you figure out more of this blood pressure connection. Doesn't explain the pain, but could be a piece of the puzzle.