• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Cheese is addictive as crack?

jimells

Every two weeks I eat 3 pounds of cheese and 8 pounds of yogurt.

Good thing lactose doesn't bother me.

The reasons for this unusual diet are simple enough. I can not tolerate more than tiny amounts of carbohydrates. I don't eat much meat because I don't have the strength to deal with cooking and meat gets caught in my teeth and irritates the gums. I don't have the strength to make salads anymore either and I only get groceries twice a month. That doesn't leave many good options for food on a limited budget.

barbc56

Cheese is good, but it's not addictive. Unlike coffee, which is the Elixer of Life.

As are coffee enemas! Addictive that is!

As for me, I'm a tea drinker but none of the wimpy herbal teas as I want the caffeine! Not that herbal teas don't have their place and have to admit I've occassionally indulged.

alex3619

This is based on what, the tendency of college students to eat pizza? I eat pizza too sometimes but its only because I am too sick to cook anything else. Pizza is almost a party food, quick, easy, and it has some vegetable on it (depending on topping) so you can argue with anyone saying you are not eating healthy - no reason college students shouldn't flock to it quite aside from (unlikely) addiction. Its also high in fat, which means it can fill you fast, and reasonably cheap as far as bought foods go. Its on the border of an OK food and the ultimate junk food. Students often wont resist it. They have no reason to resist it.

PWME who can tolerate dairy are a special exception. We need protein without cooking, just as @jimells has suggested. That is why I sometimes eat cheese. However if I am up to cooking then the cheese I bought goes stale.

I also think they conflate social preferences and food people like with addiction.

I suspect this whole thread is in jest, or it ought to be, but I felt I should comment just in case.

Now, an admission. When I was in a share house, and broke most of the time, unemployed, pizza was our food staple. We rarely ate anything else. It was not the pizza that I really liked though, it was the darn garlic calzone! Which, admittedly, also had cheese in the middle.

Last edited:

barbc56

As addictive as crack? I doubt that. Where are the cheese addiction rehab clinics?

I think in the states there are several clinics in Wisconsin.:D

You might find some 12 step programs by calling social services. But be careful as some recommend CBT. Cheese Behavioral Therapy!

You don't hear about them due to the influence of powerful and ruthless international cheese lords.

Yup! Big Cheese!

Barb

TiredSam

The wise nematode hibernates
As addictive as crack? I doubt that. Where are the cheese addiction rehab clinics?

I've heard there are quite a few in Holland. Here's a busy cheese doctor between patients:

CheeseFactory.jpg

Large Donner

Interestingly enough the mouse in the pic I posted earlier just appeared in my living room from a perfectly formed archway in the skirting board and asked me for the price of a cup of tea.

We got chatting and it turns out he is a heavy user of crack but the cheese was a gateway drug.

I therefore on principal didn't give him any cash but did make him a cup of tea and listened to his back story until he toddled of back to his house through the skirting board which, when I got down and peered inside, was remarkably bigger than one would think it could be in such a small space.

....Woa....a cat just came speeding in and smacked up against the wall....then slid down it and all...and like now he's like all flat....

What a strange day, did this all happen or am I on crack. Or perhaps I have been indulging in too much Brie, .....its just so moreish though!!