• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Chariots of the globs: dynein-dynactin interaction in intracelluar transport

anciendaze

For years I've been telling people who repeat the theory Roger Penrose has pushed, about quantum computing taking place in microtubules inside cells, that every interaction between complex molecules with peculiar shapes could be an example of quantum computing. We now have new evidence that we failed to understand a very important part of transport of biochemicals along microtubules.

They only scratch the surface here in terms of diseases involving defects in transporter molecules. I think the naive idea of cells as loose bags of components, with the exception of some organelles, is about to get dumped.

anciendaze

Thinking more about why there are two of these molecules I was reminded of ascenders used by climbers going up a rope. Another analogy would be dual pawl ratchets in mechanical watches. One holds position while the other moves a step ahead.
hqdefault.jpg

The reconstructed static image had to be build from multiple examples seen in different stages of operation, and so would miss these differences needed to operate.

The important take-home message is that this was not a trivial piece of data we were missing, it was essential to normal operation, even before you consider malfunctions in pathological states.

Learner1

Maybe we can start with the cartoon model...:nerd: This sounds like it might have hugely complex implications...

"We're now able to move past cartoon models and visualize the fine details of many dynamic macromolecular complexes," says Grotjahn. "As we learn more about the 3D organization and architecture of these molecular machines, we will be better equipped to understand how they malfunction in disease."