• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Center for Hypotension at New York Medical College looking for POTS and VVS patients

ahimsa

ahimsa_pdx on twitter
I saw this at http://www.dysautonomiainternational.org/page.php?ID=225

I don't know whether patients with a diagnosis of either ME or CFS in addition to POTS or VVS can be part of the study but I thought I'd post it here just in case.

Enrolling Now - Droxidopa in POTS and VVS
Study Title: Northera (Droxidopa) Improves POTS and Postural Vasovagal Syncope

The Center for Hypotension at New York Medical College, lead by Dr. Julian Stewart, is seeking individuals aged 18-30 diagnosed with POTS (postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome) or VVS (vasovagal syncope, also known as NCS or neurocardiogenic syncope) to participate in a research study, to help determine if droxidopa (brand name Northera) is an effective treatment for POTS or VVS. While vasovagal syncope includes both postural syncope due to orthostatic intolerance upon standing and emotionally driven syncope (fear of needles, fainting at the sign of blood, etc.), this study will only focus on posturally-driven VVS.

The researchers are recruiting VVS patients with at least 2 episodes of vasovagal fainting in the past 12 months, and patients with POTS who have had symptoms for 6 months or more. They can accept patients who have both POTS and VVS.

It is thought that many of the symptoms of POTS and VVS are caused by abnormalities in the way in which blood volume (the amount of blood in your circulatory system) shifts when you go from lying down to standing upright. Blood pressure is maintained by the contraction of blood vessels. We want to determine whether droxidopa will improve blood vessel contraction in VVS and POTS and whether this improves quality-of-life for patients.

The study will consist of two office visits, at least a week apart.

On the first day, you will remain lying down on a table for 2-3 hours while being hooked-up to various non-invasive monitoring devices. The monitoring devices include a heart rate monitor, beat to beat blood pressure, a transcranial doppler [a sonorgram of the blood flow in your brain], and a near-infrared spectrospcopy [a red light placed on your forehead that can measure oxygen levels in your brain]. You will be monitored for about 30 minutes prior to the administration of either Northera 600mg or placebo (a capsule containing no medication) by mouth. After 2 hours of monitoring while lying down, a 70 degree upright tilt test will be performed for approximately 10 minutes. You will be then be scheduled to come back a week or so later to repeat the testing and receive the treatment you did not receive on the first visit, either Northera or placebo.

Patients will have a total of 2 days of testing and will be reimbursed $150 per day.

If interested or if you would like more information, please contact:

Courtney Terilli, Research Coordinator
The Center for Hypotension
Department of Pediatrics
19 Bradhurst Avenue, Suite 1600 South
Hawthorne, New York 10532

Email: courtney_terilli@nymc.edu
Phone: 914-593-8888