• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Cause of my cfs

JES

That Dr Berg theory fits perfectly (and I would say my circulation reacts to foods/substances outside my African evolution as foreign explaining the thrombin response), has anyone here tried heparin? In the study quoted in that link they used "5000 units of sq heparin BID" for between 3-20 months averaging 8 months with improvement, not sure if that means 5000 per day or what. I am tempted to try it for 3 months and see whether there is any improvement, I want to get dromedary derived heparin if I can.

Were there any follow on studies done since that research does anyone know?

As far as I know, no serious research regarding the hypercoagulation theory has emerged after Dr. Berg left the scene.

Indeed heparin would be a very efficient drug to test this hypothesis, however, I think heparin is mostly administered intravenously, so you might have difficulties finding a doctor who does this to you. I would recommend testing first with bromelain, as I had great success with it initially and it's much safer than heparin. I took half a capsule at least 45 mins before or 1.5 hours after food (never take it with food or it won't work), within 3 hours I started feeling like my feet were in a constant shower, the circulation was that much improved. My brain fog for the next few days was practically gone after just one dosage of bromelain.

Hip

My brain fog for the next few days was practically gone after just one dosage of bromelain.

But I bet when you repeated this, you did not get the same benefits the next time. It's common in ME/CFS for the significant benefits that you can sometimes get from a supplement or drug to disappear after a short while. It is a bit of a mystery why you get these "flash in the pan" benefits in ME/CFS.

Indeed heparin would be a very efficient drug to test this hypothesis, however, I think heparin is mostly administered intravenously, so you might have difficulties finding a doctor who does this to you. I would recommend testing first with bromelain, as I had great success with it initially and it's much safer than heparin. I took half a capsule at least 45 mins before or 1.5 hours after food (never take it with food or it won't work), within 3 hours I started feeling like my feet were in a constant shower, the circulation was that much improved. My brain fog for the next few days was practically gone after just one dosage of bromelain.
The problem I have with bromelain is that pineapple is very slightly negative to my circulation and I would say bromelain is likely to be negative as well (so I am wary to try it) which may explain why it worked well for you at first but your circulation got worse after a while / was not effective after a while. I have ordered some to try anyway to see if I get the same effect as you. How many milligrams were in each capsule do you know?

I am also wary to try heparin unless its' sourced from dromedary camels, as I think that's the only source available which originated in Africa.

Last edited:
you describe a lot of not domesticated animals, the meat of which you profit from. And domesticated ones, which you do not like. Science tells that domesticated animals are far less healthy:
  • measurable increases in postprandial inflammation
  • measurable differences in omega 3 and omega 6 (this depends though not so much on the animal, to my knowledge but rather on grass fed / grain fed. To put it simply: an animal fed corn will contain the omega 6 from corn. And you, fed these animals, will contain the o6, too. Eat crap -> be crap -> feel crap. :eek: :D:(:( :(
This is true, however I also tried other meats like wild rabbit and venison and so forth and they were negative to my circulation, it was only the African meats that were neutral.

Hip

"If you are looking at blood volume based on RBCs, then a group of RBCs stuck together would act as one cell, not 3, 8 or 10, etc. Thus you could conclude that there is a low blood volume. This will be interesting experiment to repeat a patient with “low blood volume” after a short period of time on heparin. The blood volume would probably correct, since the cells would not be stuck together by the SFM."
Low blood volume is another issue in ME/CFS, and it can be treated to an extent by increasing salt intake, which increases blood volume, and/or by antidiuretic drugs like desmopressin, which increases fluid retention and blood volume.

I am not sure how blood volume in measured in the ME/CFS studies.

I am also wary to try heparin unless its' sourced from dromedary camels, which originated in Africa.

I don't know where you got this Africa idea, but I don't buy at all. I am interested in dietary interventions, but I cannot see anything scientific about your idea that everything we ingest needs to come from Africa.

I don't know where you got this Africa idea, but I don't buy at all. I am interested in dietary interventions, but I cannot see anything scientific about your idea that everything we ingest needs to come from Africa.
I realized after I realized asparagus improved my circulation and around the time of reading about human dietary evolution [1, 2], trial and error confirming it. This is for me, I don't know about other people.

It's scientific for me because it's been a process of empiricism evidence and trial and error but for you it's only read from a page so fair enough on paper it's not currently scientific except for the to some extent match with dr bergs theory.

Last edited:

JES

The problem I have with bromelain is that pineapple is very slightly negative to my circulation and I would say bromelain is likely to be negative as well (so I am wary to try it) which may explain why it worked well for you at first but your circulation got worse after a while / was not effective after a while. I have ordered some to try anyway to see if I get the same effect as you. How many milligrams were in each capsule do you know?

I am also wary to try heparin unless its' sourced from dromedary camels, as I think that's the only source available which originated in Africa.

I used Solgar 500 mg tablets. I never needed to take more than half a tablet, even 1/4th would work probably. The only thing that made a big difference was to take it on empty stomach. I had a go at taking half a tablet yesterday again after a month off. The effect still kicks in for me, maybe not as strong as the first time, but blood flow is notably better at this very moment. I may have to take this on a weekly basis only, since when I took it continuously I lost most benefits and some of my other CFS/ME symptoms got worse (maybe I developed tolerance and coagulation returned back to baseline, who knows).

Thanks, I've ordered mine from India so it's gunna be a few days before it arrives at least.

I just wanted to add to the thread my initial idea of how to cure this condition: certain foods were reversing the hyperviscosity/hypercoagulation (or whatevers going on) slightly, if the responsible factor in those foods was isolated from those foods or from other sources or manufactured and bulk ingested the circulation condition could be fully reversed.

Someone helped me realise through open dialogue that my fatigue comes from emotional setbacks that were holding me down, what gabor mate says about chronic illness and trauma. I got rid of some of my emotional setbacks by talking about them from the heart and I no longer feel exhausted. Hope that can help some people, I am embarrassed if it's not real chronic fatigue.

JES

Someone helped me realise through open dialogue that my fatigue comes from emotional setbacks that were holding me down, what gabor mate says about chronic illness and trauma. I got rid of some of my emotional setbacks by talking about them from the heart and I no longer feel exhausted. Hope that can help some people, I am embarrassed if it's not real chronic fatigue.

Good news that your fatigue is better. Regarding blood hyperviscosity, it's not something caused by trauma, so if you want to carry on tests with bromelain, feel free to report back here.

Actually it was just a placebo effect me thinking my fatigue was better turns out my trauma wasn't the cause of my fatigue i am just chronically fatigued and it has got worse, what i said originally was true

Basilico

Florida
I know what caused my cfs. When(/since) I was little (age 4 or 5) I had an aversion to most foods before I ate them, I sensed that the foods available were not quite right. All I would feel like eating just about was raw salad, mangoes, pineapple and I had to be encouraged to eat other stuff and after a while I got accustomed to the foods available and just ate them despite my sense not to..

About 3 years ago I realised when I was eating asparagus that it was having a beneficial effect on my circulation and that I could sense how foods would effect my circulation before I ate them (and remembered about how I'd had this sense since I was little). I followed that sense and found other foods also had a slight beneficial effect on my circulation: spinach, cabbage, kale, passion fruit flesh (not seeds), tomato flesh (not skin, not seeds).

My theory is that humans evolved mostly in Africa, specifically to the African environment, and some people, such as I, have a neutral circulation reaction to African foods and generally speaking (besides leafy greens and tomato flesh and passion fruit flesh and salad) have a negative circulation reaction to a diet outside of that (including swallowing substances outside of Africa), leading to a slow progressing condition (fatigue, pins and needles, pain in joints, etc) depending on diet and ingested substances.

I'm pretty confused. None of the bolded items you mentioned originated from Africa. They originated either from South America, Europe, or the Middle East.

It's very common that young children are picky about what they want to eat. My husband was super picky and would only eat a handful of things. He was usually nauseous or had digestion problems and rarely wanted to eat at all. It wasn't until he reached middle school and started being really physically active in sports that he developed an appetite. So I don't think that being a picky eater as a child is significant.

If you've found a way of eating that feels good to your body, then that is wonderful. However, I think the fallacy is assuming that one way of eating is beneficial to everyone. Some people do really well on high protein diets, but this is a recipe for disaster if you've got gout. Others do well on high carb diets, but this may lead to diabetes in others. Then there's an array of allergies.

Humans have become the world-dominating species that they are in part due to the fact that we can adapt to eat just about everything, from the Inuits who eat a keto diet of almost all meat and fat, to native groups who eat primarily carbs and the rest of the world who eats everything in between. Some groups of people have lost their ability to digest lactose while others rely heavily on dairy for survival. Each group eats what is locally available to them, and over time their bodies adapt to preferentially prefer those foods.

You've also said that you can 'feel' how foods affect your circulation. It would be interesting to test that (perhaps using the test that @Hip mentioned) because what you are feeling might not be your circulation, it might be something you assume to be circulation, but is actually something completely different. For example, my husband has glucose issues, and he often has times where he thinks that his glucose is way too high because he gets certain associated symptoms, but then he checks his glucose and is surprised that it's normal.

I think the important thing to keep in mind is that correlation =/= causation. When I read your original post, my first thought was that it could just as easily be that because you ate such a limited diet as a child, you developed many severe nutritional deficiencies that would go on to create chronic health problems. Either way, I'm glad you've found a way of eating that works well for you, and I hope you are able to continue improving your health.