• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Candida, ibs-c and managing constipation

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
@heapsreal I was just looking at that the other day. I think it's a 2 week course. I know some people who got quite sick from it. And side effects are constipation.

I'm still looking at options, maybe herbals. Forget what. Oh samento? Don't know.

ebethc

@minkeygirl
have u tried rifaximin an abx that just works on the gut. There are some short protocols (for cfs anyway) and then after clearing the gut of bad bacteria , one then takes a heap of probiotics to repopulate the gut with good bacteria. Some also do the candida treatments at the same time .

Just a thought as it might helpvwith IBS.
@Sushi may have more to add on this??

@heapsreal - is rifaximin good for candida, too? I know it's used for SIBO..

SB_1108

Yeah I don't think rifaximin is good for candida at all! In fact I had my candida pretty much under control until I embarked on treating my SIBO. Now I'm having the same issues as @minkeygirl. So I would recommend against rifaximin for candida.

@minkeygirl - Like I said, I'm in the same situation and the only advice I have is to back off of the antifungals until things calm down and then try again at a lower dose. I don't know why anti-fungals do that but yeah... I feel your pain.

ebethc

Yeah I don't think rifaximin is good for candida at all! In fact I had my candida pretty much under control until I embarked on treating my SIBO. Now I'm having the same issues as @minkeygirl. So I would recommend against rifaximin for candida.

@minkeygirl - Like I said, I'm in the same situation and the only advice I have is to back off of the antifungals until things calm down and then try again at a lower dose. I don't know why anti-fungals do that but yeah... I feel your pain.

what is the conflict between SIBO and candida tx? It seems like a lot of overlap in the diets.. thanks.

SB_1108

what is the conflict between SIBO and candida tx? It seems like a lot of overlap in the diets.. thanks.

I think there are a lot of similarities/overlap with the diet but the treatment is where it differs. SIBO treatment involves antibiotics and candida treatment involves anti-fungals. Antibiotics are contraindicated for candida as they could cause drastic worsening of candida infection.

ebethc

I think there are a lot of similarities/overlap with the diet but the treatment is where it differs. SIBO treatment involves antibiotics and candida treatment involves anti-fungals. Antibiotics are contraindicated for candida as they could cause drastic worsening of candida infection.

how long is the typical course of rifaximin?

SB_1108

how long is the typical course of rifaximin?

Typical course of rifaximin is 14 days but I believe a lot of people do multiple courses of rifaxmim because SIBO is very difficult to treat. Sticking to the diet helps a lot, digestive enzymes are also helpful and adding a pro kinetic agent like Low Dose Naltrexone is supposed to keep it at bay.

ebethc

Typical course of rifaximin is 14 days but I believe a lot of people do multiple courses of rifaxmim because SIBO is very difficult to treat. Sticking to the diet helps a lot, digestive enzymes are also helpful and adding a pro kinetic agent like Low Dose Naltrexone is supposed to keep it at bay.

what is a "pro kinetic" agent? how does LDN help SIBO? thanks!

Also - do you know if coconut oil is safe for both SIBO and FODMAP?

Last edited:

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

More of a suggestion that it could be from sibo and candida could be going along for the ride. Just something i have heard on in the past where they try to rid the gut of everything, bad bacteria and candida etc and then aggressively repopulate the gut using strong probiotics ? ?

SB_1108

what is a "pro kinetic" agent? how does LDN help SIBO? thanks!

Also - do you know if coconut oil is safe for both SIBO and FODMAP?

Prokinetic Agent - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prokinetic_agent

LDN for SIBO - http://www.ldnresearchtrust.org/sites/default/files/Dr Michael Arata.pdf

Coconut oil is a low FODMAP "food" - I've read endless success stories about the management of SIBO/Candida with coconut oil but I haven't had any personal experiences to confirm.