• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Can nausea and insomnia be a PEM symptom?

I was doing alright until the other night when I spent too long studying and since then I've had trouble sleeping and I feel nausea all the time and a little brain fog/disorientation/lack of spatial awareness. My old symptoms pins and needles aren't present though.

Does this sound like PEM? Or have a got something on top of CFS?

Thanks.

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
I spent too long studying and since then I've had trouble sleeping and I feel nausea all the time and a little brain fog/disorientation/lack of spatial awareness.

Trouble sleeping is a sign for me (and others) that I've overdone it. If I push too much then I get nausea, poor balance, poor spatial awareness and coordination, and worse brain fog. I get different types of PEM based on physical vs. mental exertion.

Studying is just another kind of exertion. Many, or most PWME can feel more tired, or even quickly exhausted from mental exertion.

I think - yes. When I exert too much I definitely have troubles with getting asleep. Also, after exertion I have a symptom that I would call it a "nausea cough".

Seven7

Seven
Definitely yes. I think we all have different cicles of symptoms. For me is like monthly. And that month the PEM follows pattern then changes. Example this month is headaches ( I never almost have headaches).

I think - yes. When I exert too much I definitely have troubles with getting asleep. Also, after exertion I have a symptom that I would call it a "nausea cough".
I feel like I can't get enough air and every time I breathe I feel queasy and coughing a little. Is this anything like your nausea cough ?